– I’m Sam Clark with Crimson Education
and we’re here at Duke University
to ask some big questions.
– [Sam] What is the best thing about Duke?
– I personally love Duke basketball.
– It’s right here, student spirit,
having a great basketball team, and an amazing
community built around the best team, the best coach.
Duke basketball is where it’s at.
– Basketball. – Basketball?
– Cameron Indoors stadium, being a Cameron Crazy,
painting our faces for the UNC game, awesome.
Except this year, losing is not as fun.
– My condolences, not the best, yeah, yeah.
How did you feel when Duke lost?
– I was devastated, obviously, much too soon.
– Condolences, I’m sorry. – Thank you.
– Yeah, I would say the people.
– Definitely the people.
– I would definitely say the people.
– I’d say the kind of southern hospitality a little bit.
People always kind of ready, eager to say hi, wave
at you kind of stuff.
– Just being able to get your feet wet
in whatever field you want at an early step,
I think that is like a good thing.
And then, Duke just likes to pay for things for people
so that is nice as well, you know, so yeah.
– I think the best thing about Duke is
that there is something here for everyone.
– Uhm, I was also just gonna say the opportunities
so that is a huge part of it, but also
when I visited the campus, I really just
fell in love with it because of the energy.
– [Sam] What is the worst thing about Duke?
– I think it can be, like very isolating
because we are in Durham, North Carolina,
but it like really feels like we could be anywhere.
So I think like the Duke campus
and just like, how a lot of people act
is like very secluded from the outside world.
– I would say the worst thing is kind of
having a small student population.
One, cause I mean, you kind of almost
see the same faces a lot of times.
– I guess the work load
can get stressful at times, I’m an engineer
so sometimes, like, it’s just a lot.
– Probably the work load.
– It’s a lot. – Physics.
哦 物理 你是物理专业？
– Oh, yeah, physics, you’re a physics major?
– Making sure that you plan out your classes
so that you have time to actually enjoy life
and everything that Duke offers is important
instead of working on problem sets.
– Maintain sanity.
– Maintain sanity is very helpful.
– The parking, parking is tough on Duke’s campus.
– The parking is bad, okay, okay.
– I will give them that. – Okay.
– The tuition.
– The tuition, okay, its a lot.
– Constant construction.
– Okay, a lot of that.
– I don’t like the sports teams.
– You don’t like the sports teams?
– Say that quietly. – Yeah.
– Yeah, uh oh.
– [Sam] What’s a typical Saturday night look like for you?
– I guess, I mean a typical Duke Saturday night
is people go out the club called Shooters.
– Shooters, okay.
– You guys don’t know it?
– It’s like a really really like dirty club.
– Occasionally Shooters, you know how it is.
– I said everybody loves going to Shooters.
– Shooters, heard a lot about Shooters.
– Yeah. – Okay.
– Some Saturday’s I study, some times I go out to Shooters.
– Usually go out to dinner with some friends,
and we have got a intermural softball team
on Sunday evenings.
– Game night is a lot of fun.
We have this video game room that has virtual reality
stuff, and we do like, whether is it World of Warcraft,
it could be Halo, Mario Cart is always a fun one.
– I belong to a sorority so a lot of times
we will have mixers, or like a certain function
like day function.
– You know, stay out usually not too late,
but two or three in the morning.
– Yeah, great.
– [Sam] What did you write your college essay about?
– So there are two college application essays
the year I applied to Duke.
The first one was the general common app application.
The second one was the why duke.
– Like the common app essay?
– I did about, I think scuba diving
and finding fossils and stuff, geology stuff.
– My application was about my community.
I grew up in Belle Glade, Florida, which
is in Palm Beach county in South Florida,
and it is like poverty ridden, filled with a lot
of violence, and I just wrote about how
I want to do better for my community,
and for myself, and for my family
and how coming to Duke could help me do that.
And just showing my community that there
are other ways to be successful.
– I wrote about being afraid to ride a roller coaster
and how I didn’t overcome the fear
and still haven’t ridden it.
– But that’s okay.
– I wrote my college application essay
about basketball, I know it is way to cliche,
but it got me in.
– Here you are, great.
– I talked about my parent being from Jamaica,
and I had recently gone down for my grandfathers funeral
so I talked about like reconnecting with my roots,
and just like being a part of a family
because most of my family is down there,
so like getting to know them, just like
linking up with them and connecting with them
was very important to me.
– I wrote it about jazz music
because I like…
– Are you a musician?
是的 我演奏爵士乐 高中时我后背受伤
– Yeah, I play jazz music, and I had broken
my back in high school, and so
I couldn’t really do any sports or anything,
so I ended up like playing a lot of music,
and like getting in to that a lot more.
So I wrote about how that, how I sort
of coped with that basically.
– Okay, good.
– [Sam] Any thoughts about UNC?
– I don’t like them.
你不喜欢 嘘 北卡
– You don’t like, boo UNC, is there,
do you have a favorite anti-UNC cheer?
– I mean go to hell, Carolina.
– Go to hell, Carolina.
见鬼去 卡罗来纳 见鬼去吧
– Go to hell, Carolina, go to hell.
– Yeah, yeah.
– Great school
we don’t particularly like them in basketball
but other than that,
– They are good, they’re good, but we don’t like them.
– I would rather not speak on there irrelevance.
– Our blue definitely looks better.
– That’s great, yeah, yeah.
– DDMF. – DDMF?
For those who might now know, what does.
– Duke (explicit beep)
– Duke (explicit beep)
– Any thoughts about UNC?
– This one is Bauer.
– [Sam] Bauer, what’s up?
Yeah, that’s a microphone.
– and that one is McGroover.
– McGroover? That’s a great name.
Yup, that’s just a microphone.
– If you find this video
and you want to learn more about other student experiences
at schools in the states and other places,
be sure to subscribe to the channel.