未登录,请登录后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)

滑雪穿越北极 你要了解的三件事

Ben Saunders: Three things to know before you ski to the North Pole

一年一度
一千位杰出人士相聚在加州蒙特雷
互相交流他们无价的
奇思妙想
发生在这里的故事从不为人所知
……直到如今
TED
传播一切值得传播的思想
这个灵感来源于与你分享创意的地方
[掌声]
This is me. My name is Ben Saunders.
这就是我 我叫Ben Saunders
I specialize in dragging heavy things around cold places.
我专门在寒冷之地拖运重物
On May 11th last year, I stood alone at the North geographic Pole.
去年5月11日 我独自站在地理北极点上
I was the only human being in an area
在相当于1.5个美国面积的土地上
one-and-a-half times the size of America, five-and-a-half thousand square miles.
5500平方英里的区域里 我是唯一的人类
More than 2,000 people have climbed Everest.
有2000多人曾登顶珠峰
12 people have stood on the moon.
12个人登上过月球
Including me, only four people
但加上我 只有四个人
have skied solo to the North Pole.
曾独自一人滑雪去到北极
And I think the reason for that…
我觉得这是因为……
[Applause] Thank you.
[掌声]谢谢
I think the reason for that is that, it’s- it’s-
我觉得这是因为
well, it’s as Chris said, bonkers.
如Chris所说的 犯傻
It’s a journey that is right at the limit of human capability.
这是一次考验人类能力极限的旅程
I skied the equivalent of 31 marathons back to back,
我连续滑了31次马拉松的距离
800 miles in 10 weeks.
10周滑800英里
And I was dragging all the food I needed,
我拖着所有我需要的食物
the supplies, the equipment, sleeping bag,
补给 设备 睡袋
one change of underwear, everything I needed for nearly three months.
一套换洗内衣 近3个月我需要的所有物品
[Laughter]
[笑声]
What we’re going to try and do today, in the 16 and a bit minutes I’ve got left,
在剩下的16分多一点的时间里 我们今天要做的
is to try and answer three questions.
是尝试回答三个问题
The first one is, why?
第一个 为什么?
The second one is,
第二个
how do you go to the loo at minus 40?
怎样在零下四十度时上厕所?
“Ben, I’ve read somewhere that at minus 40,
“本 我在某处读到 零下四十度时
exposed skin becomes frost bitten in less than a minute,
皮肤外露不到1分钟都会被冻伤
so how do you answer the call of nature?”
你怎么解决内急?”
I don’t want to answer these now. I’ll come on to them at the end.
我现在先不回答 最后再讨论
Third one: how do you top that? What’s next?
第三个 你是如何做到的?下一项挑战是什么?
It all started back in 2001.
这一切都要追溯到2001年
My first expedition was with a guy called Pen Hadow,
我的首次探险和Pen Hadow一起
enormously experienced chap.
他是个极富经验的小伙子
This was like my polar apprenticeship.
这次旅程就像是我的极地学徒期
We were trying to ski from this group of islands up here, Severnaya Zemlya, to the North Pole.
我们努力从北地群岛滑到北极
And the thing that fascinates me about the North Pole,
北极 即地理上的北极点 让我着迷的是
geographic North Pole, is that it’s slap bang in the middle of the sea.
它正处于北冰洋的中心
This is about as good as maps get,
就像地图上画的那样精确
and to reach it you’ve got to ski literally over the frozen crust,
要到达北极点 你需要要滑过冻层
the floating skin of ice on the Artic Ocean.
也就是北冰洋上飘浮着的冰层
I’d spoken to the experts.
我咨询过专家
I’d read lots of books. I studied maps and charts.
读过很多书 研究过地图和图表
But I realized on the morning of day one
但在第一天早上我意识到
that I had no idea exactly what I’d let myself in for.
我完全不知道自己会陷入何种境地
I was 23 years old.
我当时23岁
No one in my age had attempted anything like this,
我的同龄人都不曾尝试过这样做
and pretty quickly, almost everything that could have gone wrong did go wrong.
很快 几乎所有可能出错的事都确实出了差错
We were attacked by a polar bear on day two.
第二天我们被一只北极熊袭击了
I had frostbite in my left big toe.
我左脚的大拇指冻伤了
We started running very low on food.
我们的食物越来越少
We were both hungry, losing a lot of weight.
饥饿让我俩的体重大幅减轻
Some very unusual weather conditions, very difficult ice conditions.
天气状况极为反常 冰情十分严峻
We had decidedly low-tech communications.
毫无疑问 我们只有一些低端的通讯设备
We couldn’t afford a satellite phone, so we had HF radio.
买不起卫星电话 我们只有高频无线电
You can see two ski poles sticking out of the roof of the tent.
大家能看到 帐篷顶上伸出了两根滑雪杆
There’s a wire dangling down either side.
两边各挂着一根电线
That was our HF radio antenna.
那是高频无线电的天线
We had less than two hours
在两个月内 我们只有不足2小时的时间
two-way communication with the outside world in two months.
与外界双向通话
Ultimately, we ran out of time.
最关键的是 时间不够用
We’d skied 400 miles. We were just over 200 miles left
我们滑了四百英里 离北极只差两百英里时
to go to the Pole, and we’d run out of time.
我们没时间了
We were too late into the summer; the ice was starting to melt.
太迟了 夏天来临 冰已开始融化
We spoke to the Russian helicopter pilots on the radio,
我们用无线电跟俄罗斯直升机驾驶员通话
and they said, “Look boys, you’ve run out of time.
他们说“伙计们 你们没时间了
We’ve got to pick you up.”
我们得来接你们”
And I felt that I had failed, wholeheartedly.
当时我感觉自己彻底失败了
I was a failure.
我是个失败者
The one goal, the one dream I’d had for as long as I could remember
那个目标 那个我记事起就拥有的梦想
I hadn’t even come close.
我却连接近它都做不到
And skiing along that first trip,
在第一次滑雪的旅途中
I had two imaginary video clips that I’d replay over and over again in my mind
每当旅途变得艰难 我都会在脑海里反复回放
when the going got tough, just to keep my motivation going.
两个片段来鼓励自己继续前行
The first one was, reaching the Pole itself.
第一个是到达北极这件事本身
I could see vividly, I suppose, being filmed out of the door of the helicopter.
我能绘声绘色地想像 自己走出直升机舱门的一幕
there was, kind of, rock music playing in the background,
好像还有摇滚乐在背景声中响起
and I had a ski pole with a Union Jack, you know, flying in the wind.
我手握挂着英国国旗的滑雪杆 旗子随风飘舞
I could see myself sticking the flag in a pole, you know
我看到自己把旗子插在北极上 你明白的
ah, glorious moment, the music kind of reaching a crescendo.
啊 多么荣耀的时刻 音乐也到了高潮
The second video clip
第二个镜头是
that I imagined was getting back to Heathrow airport,
我想像自己即将回到希思罗机场
and I could see again, vividly,
那一幕也栩栩如生
the camera flashbulbs going off,
照相机的闪光灯不停闪烁
the paparazzi, the autograph hunters,
狗仔队 要签名的人
the book agents coming to sign me up for a deal.
还有来和我签约的出版社
And of course, neither of these things happened.
当然 这些都没有发生
We didn’t get to the Pole, and we didn’t have any money to pay others to do the PR.
我们没到达北极 也没钱找人宣传
So no one have heard of this expedition.
所以没人听说过这次探险
And I got back to Heathrow. My mum was there; my brother was there;
我回到了希思罗机场 我妈和我哥在那儿
my granddad was there, had a little Union Jack.
我的祖父也在 挥着一面小小的英国国旗
[Laughter]
[笑声]
And that was about it. I went back to live with my mum.
就这样 我回到了我妈身边
I was physically exhausted,
我当时筋疲力尽
mentally an absolute wreck, considered myself a failure.
精神受到极大的创伤 觉得自己是个失败者
In a huge amount of debt personally to this expedition,
还因这次探险欠了一屁股债
and lying on my mum’s sofa, day in day out, watching daytime TV.
我躺在我妈家的沙发上 日复一日 看日间电视节目
My brother sent me a text message, an SMS,
我哥给我发了条短信
it was a quote from the “Simpsons”.
引用了《辛普森一家》中的话
It said, “You tried your hardest and failed miserably.
“你竭尽全力却以惨败告终
The lesson is: don’t even try.”
教训就是:一开始就不要去尝试”
[Laughter]
[笑声]
Fast forward three years. I did eventually get off the sofa,
三年一晃而过 我最终离开了沙发
and start planning another expedition.
开始计划另一次探险
This time, I wanted to go right across, on my own this time,
这次 我想独自穿越
from Russia, at the top of the map,
从地图顶端的俄罗斯
to the North Pole, where the sort of kink in the middle is,
到地图中间那个弯曲的北极那儿
and then on to Canada.
接着抵达加拿大
No one has made a complete crossing of the Arctic Ocean on their own.
还无人独自完成横渡北冰洋的壮举
Two Norwegians did it as a team in 2000.
2000年两个挪威人组团完成过
No one’s done it solo.
没人独自穿越过
Very famous, very accomplished Italian mountaineer,
声名赫赫的 富有成就的意大利登山者
Reinhold Messner, tried it in 1995,
莱茵霍尔德·梅斯纳尔在1995年尝试了
and he was rescued after a week.
却在一周后被救起
He described this expedition
他形容这次探险
as 10 times as dangerous as Everest.
比珠峰危险十倍
So for some reason, this was what I wanted to have a crack at.
出于某种原因 这正是我想尝试的
But I knew it’s slim to stand a chance of getting home in warm piece,
但我知道 安然无恙回家的可能性都很小
let alone make it across to Canada.
更别说穿越北冰洋 抵达加拿大了
I had to take a radical approach.
我必须采取激进的方法
This meant everything:
这就意味着要做所有事
from perfecting the sawn-off, sub-two-gram toothbrush
从熟练使用改短后不足两克重的牙刷
to working with one of the world’s leading nutritionists
到和一位世界顶尖的营养学家共事
in developing a completely new revolutionary nutritional strategy
开发一种全新的革命性的营养策略
from scratch 6,000 calories a day.
一天摄取6000卡路里
And the expedition started in February last year.
去年二月 探险开始了
Big support team: We had a film crew,
我们有庞大的支持团队:一个摄影队
a couple of logistics people with us,
几个后勤人员
my girlfriend, a photographer.
我的女友 她是一位摄影师
First we were pretty sensible, we flew British Airway to Moscow.
开始我们很顺利 搭乘英航到达莫斯科
The next bit in Siberia to Krasnoyarsk,
接着搭乘俄罗斯国内航班KrasAir
on a Russian internal airline called KrasAir,
从西伯利亚到克拉斯诺亚尔斯克
spelled K-R-A-S.
航班拼作K-R-A-S
The next bit we’d chartered a pretty eldly Russion plane
接着我们租用了一架俄罗斯老爷机
to fly us up to a town called Khatanga,
飞到名叫Khatanga的城镇
which was the sort of last bit of civilization.
那应该是最后一个有人烟的地方
Our cameraman who it turned out was pretty nervous flyers at the best of times,
我们的摄像师 一个在最好的条件下乘飞机也会犯晕的人
actually asked the pilot, before we got on the plane, how long this flight would take,
在上机前就问飞行员这次飞行要多久
and the pilot- Russian pilot- completely deadpan, replied,
那位俄罗斯飞行员面无表情地回答
“Six hours, if we live.”
六小时 如果我们能活着到达的话
[Laughter]
[笑声]
We got to Khatanga.
我们到了Khatanga
I think the joke is that Khatanga isn’t the end of the world,
我觉得搞笑的是Khatanga并不是世界尽头
but you can see it from there.
但在那儿能看到世界末日
[Laughter]
[笑声]
It was supposed to be an overnight stay. We were stuck there for 10 days.
我们原本只打算在那待一晚上 却被困了十天
There was a kind of vodka-fueled pay dispute
原因是飞行员和机主
between the helicopter pilots and the people that owned the helicopter.
就伏特加燃料的费用问题起了争执
So we were stuck. We couldn’t move.
所以我们被困住了 哪也去不了
Finally, morning of day 11, we got all cleared.
最终在第十一天早晨 问题都解决了
Loaded up the helicopters,
把东西装上直升机
two helicopters flying in tandem,
两架直升机同时
dropped me off at the edge of the pack ice.
飞到浮冰群的边缘 把我放下
We had a frantic sort of 45 minutes of filming, photography,
我们匆忙地拍了45分钟的影片和照片
while the helicopter was still there.
当时直升机还在旁边
I did an interview on the satellite phone
我通过卫星手机接受了采访
and then everyone else climbed back into the helicopter.
然后大家都爬回了直升机上
Wham, the door closed, and I was alone.
“砰”的一声门关上了 只剩我一人
And I don’t know if words will ever quite do that moment justice.
我不知道语言能否准确表达我那时的心情
All I could think about was running back up to the door, banging on the door,
我当时满脑子想着跑回机舱门前 砰砰敲门
and saying, “Look guys, I haven’t quite thought this through.”
跟他们说“伙计们 我可能还没想好”
[Laughter]
[笑声]
To make things worse, you can just see the white dot
更糟的是 你能看到那个小白点
up at the top right hand side of the screen, that’s a full moon.
就在屏幕右上方 那是一轮满月
Because we’d been held up in Russia,
因为我们在俄罗斯滞留过
of course, the full moon brings the highest and lowest tides.
确实 满月会带来最高和最低的潮汐
When you’re standing on the frozen surface of the sea,
当你站在结冰的海面上时
high and low tides generally mean that interesting things are going to happen.
高低潮汐通常意味着有趣的事要发生了
The ice is going to start moving around a bit.
冰面会小幅移动
I was, you can see there, pulling two sledges.
如你们所见 我当时拉着两个雪橇
Grand total in all, 95 days of food and fuel,
总共是95天的食物和燃料
180 kilos, that’s almost exactly 400 pounds.
180公斤 差不多有400磅重
When the ice was flat or flattish,
当冰面平整或几乎平整时
I could just about pull both.
我能拖动两个雪橇
When the ice wasn’t flat, I didn’t have a hope in hell.
当冰面不平整时 这根本不可能
I had to pull one, leave it, and go back and get the other one.
只能先拉一个 放下 回头再拉另一个
Literally scrambling through what’s called pressure ice,
准确地说翻越所谓的受压冰
the ice had been smashed up under the pressure of the currents of the ocean,
这种冰在洋流 风和潮汐的压力下
the wind and the tides.
已经被压碎了
NASA described the ice conditions last year as the worst since records began.
NASA形容去年的冰情是有记录以来最糟的
And it’s always drifting. The pack ice is always drifting.
这些浮冰总是在漂移
I was skiing into headwinds for nine
去年独自滑行的十周中
out of the 10 weeks I was alone last year.
我逆风滑了九周
And I was drifting backwards most of the time.
大部分时候我被冰层带着往后退
My record was minus 2.5 miles.
记录里我后退了⒉5英里
I got up in the morning, took the tent down, skied north for seven-and-a-half hours,
我早晨起来收起帐篷 向北滑了七个半小时
put the tent up, and I was two and a half miles further back
再撑起帐篷 结果相比出发的时候
than when I’d started.
我后退了2.5英里
I literally couldn’t keep up with the drift of the ice.
准确地说我前行的速度赶不上冰层后移的速度
[Video] So it’s day 22.
[录像] 今天是第22天
Emm
嗯…
I’m lying in the tent, getting ready to go.
我在帐篷里躺着 正准备出发
The weather is just appalling.
天气十分恶劣
Oh, drifted back about five miles
哦 昨天晚上
in the last, last night.
冰面向后漂移了5英里
Later in the expedition, the problem was no longer the ice.
探险的后期 冰不再是问题
It was a lack of ice— open water.
因为没什么冰了 都是开阔的水面
I knew this was happening. I knew the Artic was warming.
我料到这会发生 北极正在变暖
I knew there was more open water.
我料到会出现更多开阔水面
And I had a secret weapon up my sleeve.
我藏了一手秘密武器
This was my little bit of bio-mimicry.
是我的一些仿生学知识
Polar bears on the Artic Ocean move in dead straight lines.
北极熊在北冰洋只会向前直走
If they come to water, they’ll climb in, swim across it.
如果遇水 就爬进水里游过去
So we had a dry suit developed when I worked with a team in Norway
当我和挪威的团队合作时 开发了一款
based on a sort of survival suit
基于救生衣原理的潜水服
— I suppose, that helicopter pilots would wear —
我想直升机飞行员或许用得着
that I could climb into. It would go on over my boots, over my mittens,
我能钻进去 从靴子到手套都能盖住
it would pull up around my face, and seal pretty tightly around my face.
衣服能拉上来裹住脸 裹得严严实实
And this meant I could ski
这就意味着我能
over very thin ice,
在很薄的冰上滑行
and if I fell through, it wasn’t the end of the world.
即使掉进去也不会是世界末日
It also meant if the worse came to the worst,
同样意味着如果情况糟糕透顶
I could actually jump in and swim across
我可以直接跳进水里游过去
and drag the sledge over after me.
身后拖着雪橇
Some pretty radical technology,
非常激进的技术
a radical approach, but it worked perfectly.
一个激进的方法 但很有效
Another exciting thing we did last year
去年在通讯技术方面
was with communications technology.
我们还做了件让人激动的事
In 1912, Shackleton’s Endurance expedition
1912年 沙克尔顿坚忍号探险队中
there was- one of his crew- a guy called Thomas Orde Lees.
有一位叫Thomas Orde Lees的成员
He said, “The explorers of 2012,
他说 2012年的探险家
if there is anything left to explore,
如果还有能探索的东西
will no doubt carry pocket wireless telephones
毫无疑问会带上配有无线望远镜的
fitted with wireless telescopes.”
便携无线电话
Orde Lees guessed wrong by about eight years.
Orde Lees猜错了大约8年
This is my pocket wireless telephone,
这是我的便携无线手机
Iridium satellite phone.
铱星卫星电话
The wireless telescope was a digital camera I had tucked in my pocket.
无线望远镜是装在我口袋里的数码相机
And every single day of the 72 days I was alone on the ice,
72天里 独自在冰上的每一天
I was blogging live from my tent,
我都在帐篷里更新博客
sending back a little diary piece,
发回一小篇日记
sending back information on the distance I’d covered,
发送我走过的路程的信息
the ice conditions, the temperature
冰情 温度
and a daily photo.
和每日照片
Remember, 2001 we had less than two hours
记得2001年时我们与外界
radio contact with the outside world.
只有不足两小时的无线电联系
Last year, blogging live from an expedition
去年 某个探险队的博客直播
has been described as ten times as dangerous as Everest.
被形容为比珠峰还危险十倍
It wasn’t all high-tech,
探险不全仰仗高科技
this is navigating in what’s called a whiteout.
这是在所谓暴雪环境中航行
When you get lots of mist, low cloud, the wind starts blowing the snow up.
当雾气来临 云层压低 风吹起雪花
We can’t see on floor. You can just see this yellow
地面能见度极低 你只能看到
ribbon tied to one of my ski poles.
一条黄色带子系在我的滑雪杆上
I’d navigate using the direction of the wind.
我靠风向判断前行的方向
So, kind of a weird combination of high-tech and low-tech.
正是 高科技和土办法的奇怪组合
I got to the Pole on the 11th of May.
5月11日 我到达北极点
It took me 68 days to get there from Russia,
我花了68天从俄罗斯走到这
and there is nothing there.
一个鸟不拉屎的地方
[Laughter]
[笑声]
There isn’t even a pole at the Pole. There’s nothing there
北极点甚至没有固定的极点 空无一物
purely because it’s sea ice. It’s drifting.
因为那儿纯粹是海上浮冰 随时在漂移
Stick a flag there, leave it there, pretty soon it will drift off,
在这插一面旗 很快会随冰飘走
usually towards Canada or Greenland.
通常漂向加拿大或格陵兰岛的方向
I knew this, but I was expecting something.
我料到了这些 但多少还期待着看到些什么
Strange mixture of feelings: it was extremely warm by this stage,
我百感交集 此时北极非常暖和
a lot of open water around,
周围有很多开阔水面
and of course, elated that I’d got there under my own steam.
当然 靠自己的力量到达极点我很受鼓舞
But starting to really realize
但也开始意识到
that my chances of making it all the way across to Canada,
加拿大离我还有400英里
which was still 400 miles away,
靠自己走到那儿的可能性
were slim at best.
是微乎其微
The only proof I’ve got that I was there
我到达北极点的唯一证据
is a blurry photo of my GPS, the little satellite navigation gadget.
是这张模糊的GPS照片 一个小型卫星导航装置
You can just see,
你能从这看到
there’s a nine and a string of zeros here.
有一个九和一串零
Ninety degrees north, that is slap bang in the North Pole.
北纬90° 突然就到了北极
I took a photo of that.Sat down on my sledge.
我坐在雪橇上 给GPS拍了张照
Did a sort of video diary piece. Took a few photos.
拍了段视频日记和几张照片
I took out my satellite phone.
我拿出了卫星手机
And I warmed the battery up in my armpit.
在腋窝下捂热了电池
I dialed three numbers. I dialed my mum.
我拨了三个号码 打给了我妈妈
I dialed my girlfriend. I dialed the CEO of my sponsor.
我女朋友以及赞助商的老总
And I got three voicemails.
然后收到了三条语音留言
[Laughter]
[笑声]
[Video] Ninety,Hahhhh
[录像] 90 呵呵呵
It’s a special feeling.
特殊的感觉
The entire planet
整个星球
is rotating
都在我脚下
beneath my feet.
旋转着
[气息声 风声]
The the whole world underneath me.
整个世界 在我脚下
I finally got through to my mum. She was at the queue of the supermarket.
最后我联系上了我妈 她正在超市排队
She started crying. She asked me to call her back.
她哭了起来 叫我再给她回电话
[Laughter]
[笑声]
I skied on for a week past the Pole.
穿过极点我又滑行了一星期
I wanted to get as close to Canada as I could
我想在情况变坏到无法继续之前
before conditions just got too dangerous to continue.
尽可能地靠近加拿大
This was the last day I had on the ice.
这是我在冰上的最后一天
When I spoke to my project management team,
当我跟我的项目管理团队交流时
they said, “Look, Ben, conditions are getting too dangerous.
他们说“看 Ben 情况越来越危险
There are huge areas of open water just south of your position.
你的南边有大片开阔水域
We’d like to pick you up.
我们得把你接回来
Ben, could you please look for an airstrip?”
Ben 你能找到一个飞机着陆地吗?”
This was the view outside my tent
当我接到这通重要电话时
when I had this fateful phone call.
我帐篷外的景象是这样的
I’d never tried to build an airstrip before.
我从未尝试过找飞机着陆地
Tony, the expedition manager, he said,
本次探险的经理Tony说
“Look Ben, you’ve got to find 500 meters of
“Ben你要找到500米长
flat, thick, safe ice.”
平坦 厚实 安全的冰层”
The only bit of ice I could find,
费了36小时才找到的飞机着陆地
it took me 36 hours of skiing around trying to find an airstrip,
是我唯一能找到的一点冰
was exactly 473 meters. I could measure it with my skis.
实际只有473米长 这是我用滑雪板量的
I didn’t tell Tony that. I didn’t tell the pilots that.
我没告诉Tony 也没告诉飞行员
I thought, it’ll have to do.
我想 只能这样了
[Video] Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh.
[录像] 嗷嗷嗷嗷嗷嗷
It just about worked. A pretty dramatic landing.
刚刚好 很惊险的着陆
The plane actually passed over four times,
飞机实际上来回飞了四次
and I was a bit worried it wasn’t going to land at all.
我还有点担心它根本不会着陆
The pilot, I knew, was called Troy.
我知道飞行员叫Troy
I was expecting someone called Troy that did this for a living to be a pretty tough kind of guy.
我想着干这行的名叫Troy的人 应该是个硬汉
I was bawling my eyes out by the time the plane landed, a pretty emotional moment.
飞机降落时我放声大哭 真是一个感性的时刻
So I thought, I’ve got to compose myself for Troy.
我就想 在Troy面前我得绷着点
I’m supposed to be the roughty toughty explorer type.
我应该保持坚韧的探险者的形象
The plane taxied up to where I was standing.
飞机滑行到了我站的地方
The door opened. This guy jumped out. He’s about that tall.
门开了 有个人跳出来 大概这么高
He said, “Hi, my name is Troy.”
他说“嗨 我是Troy”
[Laughter]
[笑声]
The co-pilot was a lady called Monica.
副驾驶是位女士 叫Monica
She sat there in a sort of hand-knitted jumper.
她穿着手织的套衫坐在那儿
They were the least macho people I’ve ever met,
他俩是我遇到过最不man的人
but they made my day.
但他们让我那天特别开心
Troy was smoking a cigarette on the ice,
Troy在冰上抽烟时
we took a few photos.
我们拍了几张照
He climbed up the ladder. He said, “Just, just get in the back.”
他爬上梯子 说“到后面来吧”
He threw his cigarette out as he got on the front,
上飞机前排时他丢掉了烟
and I climbed in the back.
然后我爬上了后排
Taxied up and down the runway a few times,
飞机在跑道上来回滑行了几次
just to flatten it out a bit,
只是为了让跑道平一点
and he said, “Right, I’m going to, I’m going to give it a go.” And he…
然后他说“好 我准备 我准备起飞了”然后他……
I’ve now learned that this is standard practice, but it had me worried at the time.
现在我了解这是正常操作 但当时让我很担心
He put his hand on the throttle.
他把手放在推进器上
You can see the control for the engines is actually on the roof of the cockpit.
你能看到引擎控制器实际上就在驾驶舱顶
It’s that little bar there. He put his hand on the throttle.
就是那根小杆子 他把手放在推进器上
Monica very gently put her hand sort of on top of his.
Monica轻轻把手放在他手上
I thought, “God, here we go. We’re, we’re, this is all or nothing.”
我心想“天哪 来吧 让我们孤注一掷”
Rammed it forward. Bounced on the runway. We just took off.
飞机轰隆向前 冲向跑道 我们起飞了
One of the skis just clipped a pressure ridge at the end of the runway, banking.
跑道尽头 一块滑板刚好压碎了由于水压隆起的冰脊
I could see into the cockpit, Troy battling the controls,
我看见驾驶舱里 Troy正全力操纵控制杆
and he just took one hand off, reached back,
然后他松开一只手 伸到后面
flipped a switch on the roof of the cockpit.
打开了驾驶舱顶的一个开关
And it was the “fasten seat belt” sign you can see on the wall.
你能看到墙上“系好安全带”的提示
[Laughter]
[笑声]
And only from the air did I see the big picture.
从空中我才看到了北极的全景
Of course, when you’re on the ice, you only ever see one obstacle at a time,
当然在冰上时 你每次只能看到一个障碍物
whether it’s a pressure ridge or there’s a bit of water.
不是一个高压冰脊就是一小片水域
This is probably why I didn’t get into trouble about the length of my airstrip.
这也许是跑道长度没给我带来麻烦的原因
I mean, it really was starting to break up.
我的意思是 冰层的确是刚开始破裂
Why? I’m not an explorer in the traditional sense.
为什么?我不是传统意义上的探险家
I’m not skiing along drawing maps,
我并不是边滑行边绘制地图
everyone knows where the North Pole is.
人人都知道北极在哪
At the South Pole there’s a big scientific base. There’s an airstrip.
在南极有一个大型科学考察基地 那有飞机跑道
There’s a cafe and there’s a tourist shop.
有一个小餐馆和旅客商店
For me, this is about exploring human limits,
对我而言 这次旅行是在探索人类极限
it’s about exploring the limits of physiology, of psychology and of technology.
探索生理 心理以及科技的极限
They’re the things that excite me.
这些才是让我激动的事
And it’s also about potential, on a personal level.
就我个人而言 这也是在考验潜能
This, for me, is a chance to explore the limits,
对我来说 这是一个探索极限的机会
really push the limits of my own potential, see how far they stretch.
真正把自身潜力推到极限 看看潜力有多大
And on a wider scale, it amazes me how people go through life
从更广的程度来看 我惊讶于
just scratching the surface of their potential,
人们仅挖掘他们表面的潜力 如何过好自己的生活
just doing three or four or five percent
只做他们能做的
of what they’re truly capable of.
百分之三到百分之五
On a wider scale, I hope this journey
从更广的角度看 我希望
was a chance to inspire other people
这次探险能鼓励其他人
to think about what they want to do with their potential,
思考他们想利用自己的潜能做什么
and what they want to do with the tiny amount of time we each have on this planet.
思考如何利用我们在这个星球上有限的时间
That’s as close as I can come to summing that up.
我能总结的就这么多
The next question is, how do you answer the call of nature at minus 40?
下一个问题是 如何在零下四十度解决内急问题?
The answer, of course, to which is a trade secret.
答案当然是一个商业机密
And the last question: what’s next?
最后一个问题 下一步做什么?
As quickly as possible,
我尽量快点
if I have a minute left at the end, I’ll go into more detail.
如果最后还有时间 我会说一些细节
What’s next:
下一步的打算
Antarctica.
南极洲
It’s the coldest, highest,
地球上最冷 最高
windiest and driest continent on Earth.
最多风和最干燥的大陆
Late 1911, early 1912,
1911年底 1912年初
there was a race to be the first to the South Pole,
有一个比谁第一个到达南极的比赛
the heart of the Antarctic continent.
那是南极洲大陆的心脏
If you include the coastline shelves, you can see the Ross Ice Shelf,
若算上海岸线的冰架 你能看到罗斯冰架
it’s the big one down here, the Ross Ice Shelf is the size of France.
就是下面这个大家伙 罗斯冰架跟法国面积相当
Antarctica, if you include the ice shelves,
南极洲 如果算上冰架
is twice the size of Australia, it’s a big place.
是澳洲的两倍大 一个很大的地方
And there’s a race to get to the Pole between Amundsen,
挪威人Amundsen和英国人Scott展开了到南极的角逐
the Norwegian, Amundsen had dog sleds and huskies,
Amundsen有狗拉雪橇和哈士奇队
and Scott, the British guy, Captain Scott.
英国人Scott是一名上尉
Scott had sort of ponies and some tractors
Scott有几匹小马 一些雪地车
and a few dogs, all of which went wrong.
和几只狗 但这些装备都出了问题
And Scott and his team of four people ended up on foot.
最终Scott和他的4名队员只能步行
They got to the Pole late January 1912
他们于1912年1月末到达南极
to find a Norwegian flag already there.
却发现那儿早就立了一面挪威国旗
There was a tent, a letter to the Norwegian king.
那有一顶帐篷 一封给挪威皇帝的信
And they turned around, headed back to the coast,
于是他们掉头 往海岸走
and all five of them died on the return journey.
返程的途中 一行5人都不幸遇难
Since then, no one has ever skied,
自此 没人再尝试过滑行穿越南极
this was 93 years ago. Since then, no one has ever skied
这是93年前的事 之后再也没人
from the coast of Antarctica to the Pole and back.
从南极洲海岸滑行到极点再返回
Every South Pole expedition you may have heard about
你听说过的每个南极探险队
is either flown out for the Pole or has used vehicles
从极点返回时 不是用飞机或车
or dogs or kites to do some kind of crossing.
就是用狗或风筝来穿行
No one has ever made a return journey. So that’s the plan.
没人尝试步行返回 所以这就是我的计划
Two of us are doing it.
我们有两个人来做这件事
That’s pretty much in.
说的够多了
One final thought before I get to the toilet, is
去厕所之前 我还有最后一个想法
is I have a and I meant to scan this and I’ve forgotten,
我有个东西 本想扫描给大家看结果忘了
but I have a I have a school report. I was 13 years old.
我有一个学校报告 那年我13岁
It’s framed above my desk at home.
它被装在框里 放在我家的书桌上
It says “Ben lacks sufficient impetus
上面写着“Ben缺少足够的动力
to achieve anything worthwhile.”
去完成任何有价值的事”
[Laughter]
[笑声]
[Applause]
[掌声]
I think if I’ve learned anything,
如果说我从中学到了些什么
it’s this: no one else is the authority on your potential.
那就是 没人能主宰你的潜能
you’re the only person that decides how far you go and what you’re capable of.
只有你自己能决定你会走多远 能力有多大
Ladies and gentlemen, that’s my story.
女士们先生们 以上是我的故事
Thank you very much.
非感谢谢
[背景音乐]
[广告]

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述

这个视频里,本·桑德斯详细讲述了他个人的滑雪旅行经历。十分有趣,给人启发。一起来看看吧。

听录译者

收集自网络

翻译译者

panda

审核员

审核员MEI

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bvq8Vo8F8U

相关推荐