未登录,请登录后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)
播放视频

难道我不是人吗?对刑事司法改革的呼吁

Am I not human? A call for criminal justice reform | Marlon Peterson

She wrote:
她写道:
“When I become famous, I will tell everyone
“待我成名之时 我将昭告天下
that I know a hero named Marlon Peterson.”
我认识一位英雄 他叫马龙·皮特森”
Heroes rarely look like me.
我一点都不像英雄
In fact, I’m what garbage looks like.
事实上 我更像垃圾
No, not the most appealing way to open a talk
这不是最有吸引力的开场白
or start a conversation,
也不适合开启一段对话
and perhaps you have some questions going through your head about that.
你脑中可能会浮现一些问题
Why would this man say such a thing about himself?
为什么这个男人要这么说自己?
What does he mean?
他想表达什么?
How can someone view him as a hero when he sees himself as garbage?
当他妄自菲薄时 怎么有人还视他为英雄呢?
I believe we learn more from questions than we do from answers.
我相信 我们在问题中学到的 比从答案中得到的多
Because when we’re questioning something,
因为当我们发问时
we’re invested in taking in some sort of new information,
我们注重于吸收新信息
or grappling with some sort of ignorance that makes us feel uncomfortable.
或是跟令人不快的无知作斗争
And that’s why I’m here:
这就是我在这儿的原因:
to push us to question,
促使我们提出问题
even when it makes us uncomfortable.
即便它令人不适
My parents are from Trinidad and Tobago,
我的父母来自特立尼达和多巴哥
the southernmost island in the Caribbean.
加勒比海最南端的一座岛屿
Trinidad is also home to the only acoustic instrument
特立尼达也是钢鼓——
invented in the 20th century: the steel pan.
20世纪发明的唯一乐器的发源地
Deriving from the African drums
钢鼓由非洲鼓演变而来
and evolving from the genius of one of the ghettos in Trinidad, a city called Laventille,
由特立尼达的贫民窟——拉芬蒂的天才改进而成
and the disregard of the American military …
而且是在美军的漠视下做成的……
Well, I should tell you,
我这么跟你说吧
America, during WWII, had military bases set up in Trinidad,
二战期间 美国在特立尼达设立了军事基地
and when the war ended,
二战结束时
they left the island littered with empty oil drums —
美军在岛上留下满地的空油桶 ——
their trash.
他们的垃圾
So people from Laventille repurposed the old drums left behind
拉芬蒂的人们重新利用丢弃的旧桶
into the full chromatic scale: the steel pan.
制成全半音阶乐器:钢鼓
Playing music now from Beethoven to Bob Marley to 50 Cent,
从贝多芬到雷鬼音乐再到饶舌音乐
those people literally made music out of garbage.
那些人真的用垃圾演奏出了音乐
Twelve days before my 20th birthday,
距我20岁生日还有十二天的时候
I was arrested for my role in a violent robbery attempt in lower Manhattan.
我因参与抢劫 在下曼哈顿区被捕
While people were sitting in a coffee shop,
当时人们坐在咖啡馆里
four people were shot. Two were killed.
四人中枪 两人身亡
Five of us were arrested.
我们有五个人被捕
We were all the products of Trinidad and Tobago.
我们都是特立尼达和多巴哥人
We were the “bad immigrants,”
我们都是“不良移民”
or the “anchor babies” that Trump and millions of Americans easily malign.
是被特朗普和数百万美国人任意诋毁的“抛锚婴儿”
I was discarded, like waste material —
我像废物一样被丢弃——
and justifiably so to many.
大多数人觉得这是毋庸置疑的
I eventually served 10 years, two months and seven days of a prison sentence.
最终 我入狱服刑十年两个月零七天
I was sentenced to a decade of punishment in a correctional institution.
我被判处到惩教机构服刑十年
I was sentenced to irrelevance —
我被判定为一文不值的废物 —
the opposite of humanity.
不配为人
Interestingly,
有趣的是
it was during those years in prison that a series of letters redeemed me,
在监狱的那些年 不断寄来的信件挽救了我
helped me move beyond the darkness and the guilt
帮我走出了黑暗
associated with the worst moment of my young life.
使我摆脱了年少时糟糕生活带来的负罪感
It gave me a sense that I was useful.
它让我觉得我并非毫无用处
She was 13 years old.
寄信的女孩只有十三岁
She had wrote that she saw me as a hero.
在信中 她说她视我为英雄
I remember reading that,
我记得 读到这儿时
and I remember crying when I read those words.
看到这句话我忍不住哭了
She was one of over 50 students
她是“师生通信计划”的五十多名学生中的一个
and 150 letters that I wrote during a mentoring correspondence program
在此期间我写了150封信
that I co-designed with a friend
这个计划是我和一位
who was a teacher at a middle school in Brooklyn, my hometown.
在布鲁克林——我的家乡 做中学教师的朋友发起的
We called it the Young Scholars Program.
我们称该计划为青年学者计划
Every time those young people shared their stories with me,
每当这些年轻人跟我分享他们的故事
their struggles,
他们的苦恼
every time they drew a picture of their favorite cartoon character
每当他们画下自己最喜欢的卡通角色
and sent it to me,
寄给我
every time they said they depended on my letters or my words of advice,
每当他们说信赖我的来信或者我的建议
it boosted my sense of worthiness.
都使我的自我价值感提升了
It gave me a sense of what I could contribute to this planet.
这个计划让我觉得自己对社会有所贡献
It transformed my life.
它改变了我的生活
Because of those letters and what they shared with me, their stories of teen life,
正因这些信和他们分享给我的——他们的青春故事
they gave me the permission,
他们给予我认同感
they gave me the courage to admit to myself
他们给予了我正视自己的勇气
that there were reasons — not excuses —
这些都是理由而非借口
but that there were reasons for that fateful day in October of 1999;
1999年十月那天的事件是有缘由的
that the trauma associated with living in a community
在枪支比运动鞋更容易获取的社区
where guns are easier to get than sneakers;
身心创伤如影随形
that the trauma associated with being raped at gunpoint at the age of 14;
我14岁那年遭人持枪胁迫性侵的心理创伤
that those are reasons for me why making that decision,
这都是我决定开枪的理由
that fatal decision,
这致命的决定
was not an unlikely proposition.
并不是个伪命题
Because those letters mattered so much to me,
因为那些信对我来说意义重大
because writing and receiving
因为信件往来
and having that communication with those folks
和那群年轻人交流
so hugely impacted my life,
对我的人生影响重大
I decided to share the opportunity with some friends of mine
我决定把这个机会分享
who were also inside with me.
给我的狱友
My friends Bill and Cory and Arocks,
我的朋友比尔 科瑞和阿罗克斯
all in prison for violent crimes also,
也是因暴力犯罪进了监狱
shared their words of wisdom with the young people as well,
他们跟年轻人分享真知灼见
and received the sense of relevancy in return.
在回信中获得自我价值感
We are now published writers and youth program innovators
现在我们是出版作家 青年计划创新者
and trauma experts
创伤专家
and gun violence prevention advocates,
枪支暴力防治倡导者
and TED talkers and —
以及TED演讲者 还有 —
and good daddies.
好爸爸
That’s what I call a positive return of investment.
这就是我称之为投资的积极回报
Above all else,
更重要的是
what building that program taught me was that when we sow,
创建这个计划让我学到 当我们播种希望
when we invest in the humanity of people no matter where they’re at,
当我们倾注于人性 无论这些人来自何方
we can reap amazing rewards.
我们能获得惊人的回报
In this latest era of criminal justice reform,
在刑事司法改革新时代
I often question and wonder why —
我经常发问并思考为什么 —
why is it that so many believe
为什么这么多人认为
that only those who have been convicted of nonviolent drug offenses
只有那些非暴力的毒品犯罪者
merit empathy and recognized humanity?
才值得同情 才算有人性
Criminal justice reform is human justice.
刑事司法改革是人类的正义
Am I not human?
我难道不是人吗?
When we invest in resources that amplify the relevancy of people
为了彰显人文关怀 我们投资社区
in communities like Laventille
比如拉芬蒂市
or parts of Brooklyn or a ghetto near you,
布鲁克林的某区 你家附近的贫民窟
we can literally create the communities that we want.
我们基本上可以构建我们想要的社区
We can do better.
我们能做得更好
We can do better than investing solely in law enforcement as a resource,
比起只致力于执法力度 我们能做得更完美
because they don’t give us a sense of relevancy
因为他们没有给予我们人文关怀
that is at the core of why so many of us do so many harmful things
这就是这么多人为了追寻自我价值感
in the pursuit of mattering.
干坏事的真正原因
See, gun violence is just a visible display of a lot of underlying traumas.
枪支暴力只是很多潜在创伤的可见表现
When we invest in the redemptive value of relevancy,
当我们着眼于人文关怀的救赎价值
we can render a return of both personal responsibility and healing.
就能获得责任感 治愈心灵
That’s the people work I care about,
我关心的是人本身
because people work.
因为这对人可行
Family, I’m asking you to do the hard work,
大家一起来做这艰难的事
the difficult work,
这困难的事
the churning work of bestowing undeserved kindness
这扰人心绪的事 将大家吝惜的关爱
upon those who we can relegate as garbage,
给予那些被定义为垃圾的人
who we can disregard and discard easily.
那些我们轻易忽视和放弃的人
I’m asking myself.
我自问
Over the past two months,
在过去的两个月里
I’ve lost two friends to gun violence,
我因枪支暴力失去了两个朋友
both innocent bystanders.
他们都是无辜的旁观者
One was caught in a drive-by while walking home.
一个在回家路上被路过的车枪击
The other was sitting in a café while eating breakfast,
另一个去迈阿密度假
while on vacation in Miami.
在咖啡馆里享用早餐时被枪击
I’m asking myself to see the redemptive value of relevancy
我要求自己在这些杀人犯身上
in the people that murdered them,
寻找人性的价值
because of the hard work of seeing the value in me.
正因有人煞费苦心发掘出我的价值
I’m pushing us to challenge our own capacity
我呼吁大家挑战自我潜能
to fully experience our humanity,
充分感受我们的人性
by understanding the full biography
了解这些人的整个人生
of people who we can easily choose not to see,
这些我们能轻易选择无视的人
because heroes are waiting to be recognized,
因为英雄们等待着伯乐的出现
and music is waiting to be made.
音乐等待着被创作出来
Thank you.
谢谢
(Applause)
(鼓掌声)

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述

生而为人,有何罪过?一位曾因枪支犯罪入狱十年的布鲁克林小伙,在笔友的认可下重获价值感,重新审视司法体系存在的歧视问题,并以自身为例,让听众重新重视人文关怀的力量。

听录译者

收集自网络

翻译译者

夕辞

审核员
视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9ZNpt6FVTY

相关推荐