未登录,请登录后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)
播放视频

向护士致敬

A tribute to nurses | Carolyn Jones

当我们生病时
As patients,
我们通常会记得医生的名字
we usually remember the names of our doctors,
但却经常忘记护士的名字
but often we forget the names of our nurses.
我记得一个护士的名字
I remember one.
几年前 我得了乳腺癌
I had breast cancer a few years ago,
在治疗初期我以为
and somehow I managed to get through the surgeries
我只要做了手术就好了
and the beginning of the treatment just fine.
我可以掩饰正在发生的一切
I could hide what was going on.
每个人都不必知道
Everybody didn’t really have to know.
我可以送女儿上学
I could walk my daughter to school,
我可以和老公外出吃饭
I could go out to dinner with my husband;
我可以骗过他人
I could fool people.
但当化疗如期而至时
But then my chemo was scheduled to begin
却吓到了我
and that terrified me
因为我知道 我将要进行的化疗会使我
because I knew that I was going to lose every single hair on my body
失去所有的头发
because of the kind of chemo that I was going to have.
虽然一切如常
I wasn’t going to be able to pretend anymore
但我不打算再继续装下去了
as though everything was normal.
我害怕了
I was scared.
我知道每个人都小心翼翼地待我是什么感觉
I knew what it felt like to have everybody treating me with kid gloves,
我只想一切如常
and I just wanted to feel normal.
医生在我的胸口安装了一个闭合输液装置
I had a port installed in my chest.
化疗的第一天
I went to my first day of chemotherapy,
我伤心极了
and I was an emotional wreck.
我的护士 乔安妮 走进病房
My nurse, Joanne, walked in the door,
身体里的每根骨头都在告诉我从椅子上站起来
and every bone in my body was telling me to get up out of that chair
保护自己
and take for the hills.
但乔安妮普通老朋友一样看着我和我聊天
But Joanne looked at me and talked to me like we were old friends.
然后她问我
And then she asked me,
“你为什么把你的头发放下来了?”
“Where’d you get your highlights done?”
[笑声]
(Laughter)
我当时就想 你是拿我开玩笑吗
And I was like, are you kidding me?
当我快要失去头发时 你竟然要和我谈论它?
You’re going to talk to me about my hair when I’m on the verge of losing it?
我生气了
I was kind of angry,
我说 “真的?头发?”
and I said, “Really? Hair?”
她耸了一下肩膀 说道
And with a shrug of her shoulders she said,
“头发会长回来的”
“It’s gonna grow back.”
那一刻 她说了一个我忽视的东西
And in that moment she said the one thing I had overlooked,
那就是 在将来 我的生活会恢复如常
and that was that at some point, my life would get back to normal.
她确信如此
She really believed that.
我也是
And so I believed it, too.
现在 当你与癌症抗争时 担心失去头发
Now, worrying about losing your hair when you’re fighting cancer
在刚开始 可能看起来很傻
may seem silly at first,
但这并不仅仅是你担心容貌的问题
but it’s not just that you’re worried about how you’re going to look.
而是担心每个人将会小心翼翼地待你
It’s that you’re worried that everybody’s going to treat you so carefully.
乔安妮使我在六个月内第一次感觉如常
Joanne made me feel normal for the first time in six months.
我们谈论了她的男朋友
We talked about her boyfriends,
说到了在纽约找房子
we talked about looking for apartments in New York City,
聊了我对化疗的看法
and we talked about my reaction to the chemotherapy —
各种各样的事
all kind of mixed in together.
我一直很好奇
And I always wondered,
她是怎样如此自然地知道怎样和我说话?
how did she so instinctively know just how to talk to me?
乔安妮·斯达哈 对她的钦佩
Joanne Staha and my admiration for her
标志着我在护士世界的旅程的开始
marked the beginning of my journey into the world of nurses.
几年后 我应邀做一个
A few years later, I was asked to do a project
弘扬护士事业的项目
that would celebrate the work that nurses do.
从乔安妮开始
I started with Joanne,
我在全国见了超过一百名护士
and I met over 100 nurses across the country.
我花费了五年的时间 给护士拍照 摄影
I spent five years interviewing, photographing and filming nurses
制作书籍 纪录片
for a book and a documentary film.
和我的团队一起
With my team,
我们在美国境内规划好可以找到
we mapped a trip across America that would take us to places
应对我国所面临的衰老 战争 贫困 犯罪等最大的公共健康议题的地方
dealing with some of the biggest public health issues facing our nation — aging, war, poverty, prisons.
之后我们到达了目的地
And then we went places
我们发现这里是正遭遇这些问题的
where we would find the largest concentration of patients
病人的最集中的地方
dealing with those issues.
我们要求医院和机构推荐
Then we asked hospitals and facilities to nominate nurses
最有代表性的护士
who would best represent them.
我见到的第一位护士是布丽奇特•库姆贝拉
One of the first nurses I met was Bridget Kumbella.
布丽奇特生于喀麦隆 家里四个孩子中的老大
Bridget was born in Cameroon, the oldest of four children.
她的父亲工作时从四楼跌落
Her father was at work when he had fallen from the fourth floor
伤了背部
and really hurt his back.
他说了很多 好像在说他的背没事
And he talked a lot about what it was like to be flat on your back
根本不需要任何关心
and not get the kind of care that you need.
这促使布丽奇特进入护士专业
And that propelled Bridget to go into the profession of nursing.
现在 作为一名布朗克斯的护士
Now, as a nurse in the Bronx,
她要照顾来自各行各业
she has a really diverse group of patients that she cares for,
各个国家地区的
from all walks of life,
各种各样的病人
and from all different religions.
她的职业是致力于在人们遇到健康问题时
And she’s devoted her career to understanding the impact
理解其中文化差异的影响
of our cultural differences when it comes to our health.
她谈起了一个病人
She spoke of a patient —
一个美国原住民
a Native American patient that she had —
他想携带一大把羽毛进重症监护室
that wanted to bring a bunch of feathers into the ICU.
这才使布丽奇特发现什么是精神安慰
That’s how he found spiritual comfort.
她说她很支持那个病人
And she spoke of advocating for him
并说道 病人来自不同地区
and said that patients come from all different religions
使用各式各样的安慰物品
and use all different kinds of objects for comfort;
无论是圣洁的玫瑰经或是有象征意义的羽毛
whether it’s a holy rosary or a symbolic feather,
都需要支持
it all needs to be supported.
接下来是护士詹森•肖特
This is Jason Short.
詹森是一名阿帕拉契亚山脉的家庭护士
Jason is a home health nurse in the Appalachian mountains,
在他小时候 他的父亲有个加气站和维修店
and his dad had a gas station and a repair shop when he was growing up.
他以前在社区修车 而现在他是护士
So he worked on cars in the community that he now serves as a nurse.
在上大学那会儿
When he was in college,
他觉得当一名护士会显得没有男子气概
it was just not macho at all to become a nurse,
所以他那几年都不想当护士
so he avoided it for years.
有段时间他开卡车
He drove trucks for a little while,
但他的命数总把他拉回护士之路
but his life path was always pulling him back to nursing.
作为一名阿帕拉契亚山脉的护士
As a nurse in the Appalachian mountains,
詹森会去一些救护车去不了的地方
Jason goes places that an ambulance can’t even get to.
在这张照片里 他站的地方原本是条路
In this photograph, he’s standing in what used to be a road.
山顶采矿塌方淹没了那条路
Top of the mountain mining flooded that road,
现在 唯一一个让詹森找到
and now the only way for Jason to get to the patient
住在那个房子里患黑肺病的病人的方法
living in that house with black lung disease
就是从湍流的河水上面开多功能车过去
is to drive his SUV against the current up that creek.
那天 我们一起 撕开了车的前护盖
The day I was with him, we ripped the front fender off the car.
第二天清晨他起床后 把车放在搭车上
The next morning he got up, put the car on the lift,
固定住护盖
fixed the fender,
然后 出发去见下一位病人
and then headed out to meet his next patient.
我亲眼见证了 詹森是如何无微不至地
I witnessed Jason caring for this gentleman
关怀这位先生
with such enormous compassion,
我再一次被护士工作的精细所折服
and I was struck again by how intimate the work of nursing really is.
当我见到布莱恩•麦克米利恩时 他还很年轻
When I met Brian McMillion, he was raw.
他刚从另一个岗位调过来
He had just come back from a deployment
他还没有适应圣地亚哥的生活
and he hadn’t really settled back in to life in San Diego yet.
他说起了他在德国当护士
He talked about his experience of being a nurse in Germany
照顾从现场归来的士兵的经历
and taking care of the soldiers coming right off the battlefield.
通常 在医院 他往往是战士们
Very often, he would be the first person they would see
睁开眼就看到的第一个人
when they opened their eyes in the hospital.
他们趟在病床上 没了四肢 看着他
And they would look at him as they were lying there, missing limbs,
他们首先会问的是
and the first thing they would say is,
“我什么时候能回去? 我的弟兄们还在战场上”
“When can I go back? I left my brothers out there.”
布莱恩会说
And Brian would have to say,
“你哪里都不会去
“You’re not going anywhere.
你已经付出了很多了 兄弟”
You’ve already given enough, brother.”
布莱恩既是护士又是一名战士
Brian is both a nurse and a soldier who’s seen combat.
这使得他处于一个特殊的位置
So that puts him in a unique position
既能与之联系又能在他的照料下帮助老兵
to be able to relate to and help heal the veterans in his care.
这是斯蒂芬修女
This is Sister Stephen,
她在威斯康辛州经营一个叫做洛雷托别墅的护理之家
and she runs a nursing home in Wisconsin called Villa Loretto.
她的生活轨迹就在她的屋檐下
And the entire circle of life can be found under her roof.
她小时候希望全家住在一个农场里
She grew up wishing they lived on a farm,
这样就有机会收养当地家畜
so given the opportunity to adopt local farm animals,
她很热情地把家畜领回家
she enthusiastically brings them in.
在春天 这些家畜会繁衍
And in the springtime, those animals have babies.
斯蒂芬修会把这些小鸭子 小山羊 小绵羊
And Sister Stephen uses those baby ducks, goats and lambs
用作一种给洛雷托别墅里病人的动物疗法
as animal therapy for the residents at Villa Loretto
这些人有时不记得自己的名字
who sometimes can’t remember their own name,
但他们很高兴去抱一只小羊羔
but they do rejoice in the holding of a baby lamb.
我和斯蒂芬修女在一起的那天
The day I was with Sister Stephen,
我需要把她带离洛雷托别墅
I needed to take her away from Villa Loretto
以拍摄其故事的一部分
to film part of her story.
在我们离开之前
And before we left,
她走进一位将要离开人世的病人的房间
she went into the room of a dying patient.
她俯身说
And she leaned over and she said,
“我今天得出去一趟
“I have to go away for the day,
但如果上帝喊你了
but if Jesus calls you,
你就走吧
you go.
直接去上帝那里”
You go straight home to Jesus.”
我站在那里 思考
I was standing there and thinking
这是我人生中第一次
it was the first time in my life
我亲眼目睹 放手也是展示爱意的一种表现
I witnessed that you could show someone you love them completely by letting go.
我们不必紧紧抓住不放
We don’t have to hold on so tightly.
我看到在我生命里任何时间地点都未曾看到的
I saw more life rolled up at Villa Loretto
洛雷托别墅里的生命是多么鲜活
than I have ever seen at any other time at any other place in my life.
涉及卫生保健时 我们的生活就进入了一个复杂的时期
We live in a complicated time when it comes to our health care.
我们很容易忽视对生活质量的需求
It’s easy to lose sight of the need for quality of life,
而不仅仅是生活数量的需求
not just quantity of life.
随着新的救命科技的出现
As new life-saving technologies are created,
我们将会很难做出决定
we’re going to have really complicated decisions to make.
这些科技会拯救生命
These technologies often save lives,
但它们也会延长痛苦和死亡过程
but they can also prolong pain and the dying process.
我们在世上到底应该怎样应对这些问题
How in the world are we supposed to navigate these waters?
我们将需要所有能得到的帮助
We’re going to need all the help we can get.
护士和我们有特殊的联系
Nurses have a really unique relationship with us
因为在病床边的陪伴时间
because of the time spent at bedside.
那段期间
During that time,
一种亲密感逐渐形成
a kind of emotional intimacy develops.
今年夏天8月9号
This past summer, on August 9,
我的父亲死于心脏病
my father died of a heart attack.
我的母亲伤心欲绝
My mother was devastated,
她不能想象没有父亲的生活该怎么过
and she couldn’t imagine her world without him in it.
四天后 她摔倒了
Four days later she fell,
她的臀骨断了
she broke her hip,
需要手术
she needed surgery
她发现只有她自己在与疾病斗争
and she found herself fighting for her own life.
再一次 我发现自己
Once again I found myself
需要申请护士护理
on the receiving end of the care of nurses —
这次是为我母亲
this time for my mom.
接下来的三天 我和哥哥姐姐
My brother and my sister and I stayed by her side
都在重症监护室里待在她身旁
for the next three days in the ICU.
我们尽量去做出对的决定
And as we tried to make the right decisions
顺应母亲的意愿
and follow my mother’s wishes,
我们发现我们在依靠护士的引导
we found that we were depending upon the guidance of nurses.
再一次
And once again,
他们没有让我们倒下
they didn’t let us down.
在母亲生命的最后四天里
They had an amazing insight in terms of how to care for my mom
他们对如何照顾她有着惊人的洞察力
in the last four days of her life.
护士给母亲安慰 减轻她的痛苦
They brought her comfort and relief from pain.
他们知道怎样护鼓励我和姐姐给母亲穿睡衣
They knew to encourage my sister and I to put a pretty nightgown on my mom,
这对母亲很重要
long after it mattered to her,
但这确实对我们意义非凡
but it sure meant a lot to us.
他们知道在母亲咽下最后一口气之前要来叫醒我
And they knew to come and wake me up just in time for my mom’s last breath.
他们知道在母亲去世之后需要让我待在病房
And then they knew how long to leave me in the room
陪伴母亲多少时间
with my mother after she died.
我不知道他们是怎样知道这些细节
I have no idea how they know these things,
但我知道 我将永远感激
but I do know that I am eternally grateful
他们又一次的引领我
that they’ve guided me once again.
感谢大家
Thank you so very much.
[掌声]
(Applause)

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述

用不同的例子说明护士的作用与意义以及伟大

听录译者

收集自网络

翻译译者

呵呵呵呵

审核员

审核员 V

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urOCG-MlB9g

相关推荐