ADM-201 dump PMP dumps pdf SSCP exam materials CBAP exam sample questions

给迷失在这个时代里的人们的一封信 – 译学馆
未登陆,请登陆后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)
播放视频

给迷失在这个时代里的人们的一封信

A letter to all who have lost in this era | Anand Giridharadas

June 29, 2016.
我亲爱的公民朋友们:
My dear fellow citizen:
今天我在这向你们致辞
I write to you today,
献给那些迷失在这个时代中的人们
to you who have lost in this era.
在我们平凡生活中的这个时刻
At this moment in our common life,
在这个充满了分裂
when the world is full of breaking
恶意
and spite
和恐惧的世界
and fear,
我为你
I address this letter
写了这封信
simply to you,
即使我们都知道
even though we both know
这里的“你”代表了很多的人
there are many of you behind this “you,”
这里的“我”也代表了很多人
and many of me behind this “I.”
我给你们写这封信的原因
I write to you because at present,
是我们现处的这个不安全的世界让我感到害怕
this quaking world we share scares me.
我猜它也吓到了你们
I gather it scares you, too.
我猜 我们所恐惧的一些东西
Some of what we fear, I suspect,
是相同的
we fear in common.
但是我们更多的恐惧似乎源于彼此之间
But much of what we fear seems to be each other.
你害怕生活在我想要的世界里
You fear the world I want to live in,
我也害怕你所想的那种
and I fear your visions in turn.
你知道那种风暴来前你却知道
Do you know that feeling you get when you know it’s going to storm
它会来的感觉吗
before it storms?
你们现在有这种感觉吗
Do you also feel that now,
我的公民朋友们?
fellow citizen?
那种心神不安又焦虑的感觉
That malaise and worry
会让你们当中的一些人
that some who know
想起上世纪30年代
feel reminds them of the 1930s?
也许你没有这种感觉
Perhaps you don’t,
因为我们对彼此的恐惧
because our fears of each other
不是同步的
are not in sync.
这一次 我感觉到了 你们对我的恐惧
In this round, I sense that your fears of me,
对这个我所坚持的世界的恐惧
of the world that I have insisted is right for us both,
这些恐惧跨越了一个世代
has gathered over a generation.
你们的恐惧过了些时间才激起我的恐惧
It took time for your fears to trigger my fears,
因为至少在开始时
not least because at first,
我从未想过我需要害怕你
I never thought I needed to fear you.
我听见了你的声音
I heard you
但是我没有仔细聆听
but did not listen,
这些年里每当你们说起 这个令人震惊的新世界
all these years when you said that this amazing new world
对于你们来说稀疏平常
wasn’t amazing for you,
对于你们这些
for many of you,
成长在工业化时代的人来说
across the industrialized world;
这个我享受的开放的 易变的世界
that the open, liquid world I relished,
在世界范围内 人力 物力和科技
of people and goods and technologies flowing freely,
都能够去到想去的地方的时代
going where they pleased, globally,
对于你来说 并非是一种解放
was not, for you, an emancipation.
当我经过你们的城镇
I have walked through your towns
观赏时却什么也没看见
and, while looking, failed to see.
我在德克萨斯州 斯蒂芬威尔市注意到
I did notice in Stephenville, Texas,
那里的市中心广场被
that the town square was dominated
连排的律师事务所霸占
by one lawyer’s office after another,
因为那里的人们不断进出监狱
because of all the people rotating in and out of the prison.
我注意到在南达科他州 瓦格纳市那些荒芜的商店
I did notice the barren shops in Wagner, South Dakota,
和那些退伍军人的聚集场所
and the VFW gathering hall
坐落于城市梦想之上
that stood in mockery
却忍受嘲讽
of a community’s dream to endure.
我注意到
I did notice
在宾夕法尼亚州 兰开斯特市的沃尔玛超市中
at the Lancaster, Pennsylvania Wal-Mart,
太多二三十岁的年轻人
that far too many people in their 20s and 30s
看起来就像与死亡只差十几二十年
looked a decade or two from death,
他们有着色素沉积的皮肤
with patchy, flared-up skin
稀疏散乱的头发
and thinning, stringy hair
泛黄磨损的牙齿
and browning, ground-down teeth
和迷离的眼神
and a lostness in their eyes.
我注意到那些在巴黎
I did notice that the young people I encountered in Paris,
弗罗里达 巴塞罗那街头的青年
in Florence, in Barcelona,
身怀文凭却无处可去
had degrees but no place to take them,
三十来岁还在实习期挣扎
living on internships well into their 30s,
他们的生活完美避过上升到巅峰的机会
their lives prevented from launching,
因为经济创造财富
because of an economy that creates wealth —
却不创造就业
just not jobs.
我注意到那些关于 伦敦市区空洞化的新闻
I did notice the news about those parts of London becoming ghost quarters,
在那儿 世界级富豪把现钱变为空洞的公寓
where the global super-rich turn fishy money into empty apartments
定价高得把人终身捆绑在城市里 年轻夫妇从这儿离开
and price lifelong residents of a city, young couples starting out,
离开了他们的家
out of their own home.
我听闻 钩织成你生活的
And I heard that the fabric of your life
是泪
was tearing.
你们曾经能指着工作过日子
You used to be able to count on work,
现在不行了
and now you couldn’t.
你们曾经能富养你们的孩子
You used to be able to nourish your children,
至少保证他们在人生中
and guarantee that they would climb
比你们自己爬得更高一些
a little bit further in life than you had,
但现在不行了
and now you couldn’t.
你们曾经能在工作中找到尊严 但现在不行了
You used to be made to feel dignity in your work, and now you didn’t.
在过去 像你们这样的人们 有个家是十分正常的事情
It used to be normal for people like you to own a home,
但现在却不是这样
and now it wasn’t.
我不能否认
I cannot say
我很早就知道这些事
I didn’t know these things,
但是我却被分了神
but I was distracted
忙着去为人类创造在火星上的未来生活而奋斗
creating a future in which we could live on Mars,
纵然你们依然在地球上艰苦的过着日子
even as you struggled down here on Earth.
我被分了神
I was distracted
去创造永生
innovating immortality,
纵然你们中很多人的寿命已开始短于你们父母那代人了
even as many of you began to live shorter lives than your parents had.
这些事都经过了我的耳朵 可惜我没有去仔细倾听
I heard all of these things, but I didn’t listen.
我看了
I looked
但是没看见
but didn’t see.
我读了 但没理解
I read, didn’t understand.
我只有在你们开始投票和大声喊叫时
I paid attention
才会集中注意力
only when you began to vote and shout,
当你们的投票和喊叫威胁到我自身的时候
and when your voting and shouting, when the substance of it,
我才会去注意到
began to threaten me.
只有当你们前往各处大陆工会
I listened only when you moved toward shattering continental unions
当你们选择粗俗的煽动者的时侯 我才会真正听见
and electing vulgar demagogues.
只有那时你的痛苦才能为我
Only then did your pain become of interest
带来利益
to me.
我知道 疼痛
I know that feeling hurt
常常是处理疼痛的序曲
is often prologue to dealing hurt.
我在想
I wonder now
如若我早已与你并肩
if you would be less eager to deal it
而你几乎无所知觉
if I had stood with you
你是否会觉得解决它并不那么要紧
when you merely felt it.
我质问自己
I ask myself
为什么我当时没有支持你
why I didn’t stand with you then.
一个原因是
One reason is that I became entranced
当时的我见风使舵
by the gurus of change,
为了创新成为新兴事物
became a worshiper of the religion of the new for novelty’s sake,
成为全球化和开放性
and of globalization and open borders
多样性的拥护者
and kaleidoscopic diversity.
一旦“改变”成为了我的信仰
Once change became my totalizing faith,
我就开始变得盲目
I could be blind.
我可能忽视改变带来的后果
I could fail to see change’s consequences.
我可能忽视了
I could overlook the importance
起源 传统 仪式 稳定性
of roots, traditions, rituals, stability —
归属感的重要性
and belonging.
当我越发变得崇拜
And the more fundamentalist I became
改变和开放
in my worship of change and openness,
我就越发把你们推往另一个极端
the more I drove you towards the other polarity,
推向守旧派
to cling,
保守派
to freeze,
推向与世隔绝
to close,
或是归属思想
to belong.
我现在比以往看见更多
I now see as I didn’t before
没有拥有所谓的优势皮肤和器官
that not having the right skin or right organ
不是唯一的劣势
is not the only varietal of disadvantage.
对于拥有优势特质的那些皮肤器官
There is a subtler, quieter disadvantage
存在着更加细微 潜在的危险
in having those privileged traits
当认为历史在离你而去
and yet feeling history to be moving away from you;
过去你是时代的宠儿
that while the past was hospitable to people like you,
也许将来
the future will be more hospitable
你便是弃儿
to others;
与你们记忆中的相比
that the world is growing less familiar,
世界一天天变得更加疏离
less yours day by day.
我当然不会承认旧权不该被削弱
I will not concede for a moment that old privileges should not dwindle.
它们削弱的速度还远远不够
They cannot dwindle fast enough.
你们应该明白在新时代里
It is for you to learn to live in a new century in which
与生俱来的优势皮肤和器官 不会带来什么红利
there are no bonuses for showing up with the right skin and right organs.
当你的愤怒转化为仇恨
If and when your anger turns to hate,
请明白在我们共享的家园里 没有容纳仇恨的空间
please know that there is no space for that in our shared home.
但我会承认 我的朋友们
But I will admit, fellow citizen,
我忽视了应对地位丧失的压力
that I have discounted the burden of coping with the loss of status.
我忘却了
I have forgotten
那些社会必须品也会成为个人炼狱
that what is socially necessary can also be personally gruelling.
相似的事情再次发生在
A similar thing happened
我们共享的经济体里
with the economy that you and I share.
正如我不能 也不愿
Just as I cannot and don’t wish
让平等与多样性回到过去
to turn back the clock on equality and diversity,
但必须明白
and yet must understand
它们会激起失落感
the sense of loss they can inspire,
因此 我拒绝 也不能够
so, too, I refuse and could not if I wished
希望时光倒流回相互联系 相互依存的世界之前
turn back the clock on an ever more closely knit, interdependent world,
回到发明不断之前
and on inventions that won’t stop being invented.
但我也必须意识到 你们所经历的这些
And yet I must understand your experience of these things.
你们多年来都在诉说 你们经历过的这些种种
You have for years been telling me that your experience of these things
并不像我理论预测中的那么美好
is not as good as my theories forecast.
但在你们能够诉说完
Yet before you could finish a complaining sentence
关于生活的艰辛 异常的时间 缩水的工资
about the difficulty of living with erratic hours, volatile pay,
消失的机会
vanishing opportunities,
在述说关于将孩子寄托给全天托管班带给你的痛苦
about the pain of dropping your children off at 24-hour day care
只为了凌晨3点的换班之前
to make your 3am shift,
我就用我的信条-在你们完成诉说之前-
I shot back at you — before you could finish your sentence —
驳回你们
my dogma,
告诉你们其实你们经历的
about how what you are actually experiencing was flexibility
是灵活和自由
and freedom.
语言是我们真正共有的 唯几样事物之一
Language is one of the only things that we truly share,
而我有时候却用这共同的遗产
and I sometimes used this joint inheritance
去混淆
to obfuscate
去转移
and deflect
去为自己辩护
and justify myself;
去重塑对我有用的东西
to re-brand what was good for me
使它变成对我们都有用的东西
as something appearing good for us both,
当我抛出诸如“共同经济”
when I threw around terms like “the sharing economy,”
”解体”
and “disruption”
”全球资源共享”这些词时
and “global resourcing.”
我意识到
I see now that what I was really doing,
我在做的
at times,
是用廉价的金钱买下你们的痛苦
was buying your pain on the cheap,
改头换面
sprucing it up
然后打着自由的旗号
and trying to sell it back to you
尝试回售给你们
as freedom.
我希望去相信 也希望你们去相信
I have wanted to believe and wanted you to believe
那对我适用的体系
that the system that has been good to me,
让我的人生天衣无缝的体系
that has made my life ever more seamless,
也是最适合你们的体系
is also the best system for you.
我自带优越感地向你们灌输观点
I have condescended to you
你们是在对经济利益投反对票
with the idea that you are voting against your economic interests —
对你们自身的利益投反对票
voting against your interests,
仿佛我知道你们利益的样子
as if I know your interests.
这只是我对经济主义的教条言论
That is just my dogmatic economism talking.
我有个弱点
I have a weakness
就是总把经济利益看作所有人的唯一利益
for treating people’s economic interests as their only interest,
忽视了那些归属感 骄傲情绪
ignoring things like belonging and pride
和对于那些忽视你的人们 发出信息的欲望
and the desire to send a message to those who ignore you.
我们就是这样
So here we are,
身处一个可怕但并非莫名奇妙的
in a scary but not inexplicable moment
躁动的 受挫的
of demagoguery, fracture,
排外的 痛恨的 惧怕的时刻
xenophobia, resentment and fear.
如果我们继续这条道路
And I worry for us both if we continue down this road,
我不听 你感觉没被倾听
me not listening,
你为了让我听而喊叫
you feeling unheard,
我将为你我感到担心
you shouting to get me to listen.
我担心我们中的每一个人都会被
I worry when each of us is seduced by visions of the future
不给别人留出路的未来景象所诱惑
that have no place for the other.
如果这继续下去
If this goes on,
继续这样下去
if this goes on,
可能会演变为血案
there may be blood.
在每天的报纸当中
There are already hints of this blood
已经有一些血案前兆了
in newspapers every day.
可能会出现混乱 暴动
There may be roundups, raids,
搜捕 驱逐营 分裂
deportations, camps, secessions.
不 我不是在虚张声势
And no, I do not think that I exaggerate.
有些地方开始说起战争
There may be even talk of war
尽管他们曾经十分肯定自己不会再陷入战争
in places that were certain they were done with it.
一直以来都有救赎的希望
There is always the hope of redemption.
但这并非是一个廉价的 浅显易得的救赎
But it will not be a cheap, shallow redemption
不仅仅是嘴上说说我们团结一致
that comes through blather about us all being in it together.
这会需要更多
This will take more.
我们需要承认我们选择在这儿
It will take accepting that we both made choices to be here.
是我们创造了“其他人”的概念
We create our “others.”
作为家长 邻居 公民
As parents, as neighbors, as citizens,
我们见证 有时也忽视
we witness and sometimes ignore each other
他人的存在
into being.
我们并非生来就复仇心切
You were not born vengeful.
我也饰演一些角色
I have some role
无论你现在是多么渴望复仇
in whatever thirst you now feel for revenge,
那些复仇的渴望感诱使我
and that thirst now tempts me
设计前所未有精密的路线
to plot ever more elaborate escapes
去逃离我们共同生活
from our common life,
逃离学校和邻里
from the schools and neighborhoods
逃离机场和游乐场
and airports and amusement parks
逃离那些我们曾经共有的地方
that we used to share.
之后 我们面对的
We face, then,
不是那些远大的非个人的问题
a problem not of these large, impersonal forces.
我们面对的是你我的关系问题
We face a problem of your and my relations.
我们的羁绊
We chose ways of relating to each other
将我们推到这里
that got us here.
我们大可以作出别的选择
We can choose ways of relating
脱离这里
that get us out.
但我们必须放弃一些东西
But there are things we might have to let go of,
我亲爱的公民伙伴们
fellow citizen,
从我们所珍视的现实开始
starting with our own cherished versions of reality.
想象一下如果你们不再嚷嚷着
Imagine if you let go of fantasies
将看不惯的人从这个社会消灭
of a society purged of these or those people.
想象一下如果我放弃再在你们背后
Imagine if I let go of my habit
默默地“拯救世界”
of saving the world behind your back,
不再在连你都过不了安检的地方
of deliberating on the future
为你的未来
of your work,
工作 饮食
your food,
教育
your schools,
等日常生活精打细算
in places where you couldn’t get past security.
我们只有先承认我们忽视了彼此
We can do this only if we first accept
才可能做到这一点
that we have neglected each other.
如果在这不详的时刻
If there is hope to summon
有重新振作精神的希望
in this ominous hour,
那就是这个
it is this.
我们已经
We have, for too long,
追寻各种闪亮的梦想太久
chased various shimmering dreams
以牺牲关注你我最初
at the cost of attention to the foundational dream of each other,
要照顾彼此
the dream of tending to each other,
为彼此解忧
of unleashing each other’s wonders,
共同进退的梦想为代价
of moving through history together.
我们应该敢于承认对于彼此的梦想
We could dare to commit to the dream of each other
承认它比其他各色事情更重要
as the thing that matters before every neon thing.
让我们敢于这么做
Let us dare.
敬上
Sincerely yours,
一个公民伙伴
a fellow citizen.
(掌声)
(Applause)

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述

我们生活得不容易 如果你对你的生活有疑虑 迷惘 那就看看这个视频吧 希望能够有所启发

听录译者

收集自网络

翻译译者

小山米

审核员

赖皮

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5tCYg9s0HU

相关推荐