未登录,请登录后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)
播放视频

一位97岁哲学家的生死观

A 97-Year-Old Philosopher Faces His Own Death

Being 97 has been an interesting experience.
活到97岁是一件有趣的经历
I’ll say that.
我会说
It’s very difficult for people who have not reached
对于那些尚未达到
a state of old age, whatever that is.
老年状态的人而言 无论他们多大都会觉得
Very difficult for them to understand the psychology of it,
理解老年人的心理很困难
what is going on in the person.
以及他们所经受的一切
How are you feeling?
你现在感觉怎样?
Oh feeling okay, thank you. Pretty good.
噢 我感觉还好 谢谢你 非常好
That’s good. No grogginess?
那就好 没有头晕吧?
No grogginess.
完全不晕
I think I’d woken up for all this excitement!
我觉得我起床后精神状态极佳!
It’s a loss of ability that you have had all your life.
随着年龄渐长 我做很多事都力不从心
And there’s a tendency to act
而人们倾向于表现出
as if you still had it and then fail.
好像自己还行的样子然后事与愿违
Or be embarrassed.
或是感到尴尬
Or you have to accept that finally
或是不得不接受自己终究
that you can’t do that anymore.
不能再那样做的事实
That’s the rational thing to do.
那是种理性的做法
And it would be very nice if we just all did the rational thing to do,
而如果我们能一直理性行事就好了
but we don’t.
但我们并非如此
You can’t just decide rationally.
你不可能始终做到理性决策
Well, this is the way it’s got to be now,
嗯 这就是现在的情况
even though it was the other way then.
尽管之前是另一种
You can say that to yourself,
你可以告诉自己要理性
but that doesn’t mean you can do it.
但这不意味着你能言行一致
These are lifelong habits.
这些是我的终身习惯
I could do a lot of the usual things of life.
我曾可以做很多日常生活的事
But now they are, most of them done,
而现在 很多事情都要
with effort and special care.
很费力很操心才能做好
And often enough with help of somebody else.
并且 我常常需要他人的帮助
And that’s one of the challenges I have had
对我的挑战之一便是
is to come to terms with the need for help.
接受自己需要他人帮助的现实
I was born in Brooklyn in 1921.
1921年 我出生在布鲁克林
-Here’s your coffee -Thank you.
–咖啡来了 –谢谢
I am 97 which is a big surprise to me.
我97岁了 这对我来说是一大惊喜
At this age, naturally I think about death.
处在这年纪 我自然会想到死亡
I taught philosophy in the University of California,
我曾在加利福尼亚大学教授哲学
about 40 years, I guess.
大概有四十年了
As a young philosopher,
作为一位年轻的哲学家
I started out going deeply into psychoanalysis.
我开始深入研究精神分析
I have published books on self-deception and Chinese philosophy.
我出版过关于自我欺骗和中国哲学的书
And I also was working in the theory of ethics and the law,
另外 我也研究伦理与法律理论
problems of responsibility,
责任问题
in particular in connection with alcoholism and drug addiction.
尤其是与酗酒和吸毒有关的责任问题
and I also wrote a book about death.
我也写了本关于死亡的书
That was about 20 years ago.
那大概是二十年前了
Breakfast!
早餐来了!
-Thank you! -You’re welcome.
–谢谢你! –不客气
–Looks beautiful. –Thanks.
–这看上去很美味 –谢谢夸奖
In the book about death
在那本关于死亡的书里
What I said was, in a nutshell, is
当时我的核心论点是
there’s no reason to be afraid or concerned or anything about death
没有理由为死亡而产生恐惧忧虑之类的情感
because when you die, there’s nothing.
因为当你死去时 什么也不会发生
You’re not going to suffer.
你不会感到痛苦
You’re not going to be unhappy.
你不会感到沮丧
You’re not going to…
你不会……
Well, you just… you are not going to be.
呃 你只是……不会有任何感受
-The bacon is good. -Hm?
–培根不错 –嗯?
-The bacon. -It is good.
–我说培根 –确实不错
-I like this kind… -That’s your favorite, right?
–我喜欢这种…… –这是你最爱的一种 对吧?
-Yeah! -It’s good.
–是啊! –真不错
I mean, at a certain point, there’s nothing.
我是说 在某种程度上 一切都是虚无
So it’s not rational to be afraid of death.
所以害怕死亡是非理性的
I now think that is not a good statement.
但我现在觉得这个说法并不好
Because…
因为……
I think it’s important to figure out
我认为找出
why it is then that people are afraid of death.
人们害怕死亡的原因很重要
Why am I concerned about it?
为什么我会担忧死亡呢
My argument was there’s no good reason for it.
过去 我认为人们没有理由去担心死亡
My sense of realism tells me well, no good reason or not,
我的现实主义思想告诉我不管有没有好的理由
it is something that haunts me, the idea of dying soon.
行将就木的想法一直困扰着我
I often walk around the house
我常在家中走来走去
and I ask myself, often out loud,
也常大声问自己
What is the point of it all?
这一切的意义何在?
There must be something I’m missing in this argument.
在这个论点上 我一定遗漏了什么
I wish I knew.
我希望能知道答案
So here I am,
所以我
trying to work out where I am.
试图弄清楚自己究竟是怎么想的
I still find that I am in many ways a puzzle to myself.
我发现 在很多方面上 我仍然不了解自己
I do find it very interesting to try to figure it out.
我发现探究问题的过程很有意思
What’s going on?
这到底是怎么回事?
And I’ve spent a lot of my life thinking about such issues.
我花了许多时间来思考这些问题
But it’s hard.
但这很难想明白
I don’t know.
我不知道
I just, usually, just drop the subject.
我通常只会放弃思考这个问题
What is the point of it all?
这一切的意义何在?
I think I ask the question with the sense that
我想我问这个问题时会感觉
there isn’t any good answer.
不会有什么好的答案
It’s a kind of ironic question.
这是一种具有讽刺意味的问题
I think the answer may be…
我想答案可能是……
The silent answer may be
无声的答案可能
there is no point.
这毫无意义
It’s a foolish question.
这是个愚蠢的问题
If I had to say…
如果我非得说……
if I had to say something…
如果我非得说什么的话……
I would say that loneliness and absence
我会说孤独与残缺
is an absolute part of my life.
注定是我生命中的一部分
And that has to do with my wife.
这和我的妻子有关
We were very close.
我们曾无比亲密
We were married for probably around 70 years.
我们结婚大概有七十年了
And that is another dimension of this whole situation
而那是我有时会全神贯注思考的
that I am preoccupied with at times.
现状的另一维度
Because she’s gone
因为她逝世了
and she has been for several years.
走了好多年了
And I feel that a part of me is gone.
我觉得我的一部分也随之而去了
We worked together and traveled together.
我们曾在一起工作与旅行
We were happy together.
我们在一起很开心
I know how fortunate I have been to have had a happy life.
我知道自己曾经有过这样的快乐生活是多么幸运
But half of me is gone.
但我的另一半已经不在了
Her absence has been to me
她的离开对我而言
for a number of years now,
多年以来
has been a presence.
已经成为某种存在
An absence which was present to me.
这种呈现在我面前的残缺
I don’t know, call it emptiness.
我不知道算是什么 就称它为空虚吧
There’s something missing.
我总感到若有所失
and of course I realize right away that she is what’s missing.
当然我会马上意识到缺少的就是她
That’s a very lonely thing.
这是件极其孤独的事
I was with her even when she was dying.
即便在她临终前 我也陪在她身边
That was a difficult experience.
那是一段艰难的经历
At least we got to embrace at that time.
当时我们至少还有过拥抱
That’s something I used to listen to with Leslie,
那是我与莱思莉一起听过的音乐
righ here.
在这儿
And we held hands.
我们手牵手
Death.
死亡
it’s a frightening thought.
这是个可怕的想法
It’s something I don’t want to happen.
这是件我不愿发生的事
Much as I think our life in this world is.
尽管我总觉得我们在世间的生活
often a pretty messy affair,
常常是件相当混乱的事
I still would like to hang around.
我还是想在这个世界闲逛
I don’t know the basic reason why I should want to,
我不知道自己渴望活着
or the basic reason why I should be afraid of it.
或者害怕死亡的根本原因
What does it means that I’m going to leave?
我即将面临的离世到底意味着什么?
As I sit out now on my deck of the house.
当我坐在家中的露台上
I look at the trees blowing a little in the breeze.
我看着在树木在微风中摇曳
And I’ve seen them innumerable times.
这风景我已见过无数次了
But somehow seeing the trees this time
但不知为何 这次看到这些树
is a transcendent experience.
给我带来了超然的体验
I see how marvelous it is and I think to myself
我看着这美丽的景象 心里想到
I’ve had these here all along.
我一直都拥有着它们
But have I really appreciated them?
但我有真正地欣赏过吗?
And the fact is that I have not.
事实是 我没有
Until now.
直到现在
And in a way,
而在某种程度上
it makes the fact of death even more difficult to accept.
那次体验使死亡的事实更让我难以承受
It just brings tears to my eyes.
一想到这我就泪流满面
I’ve written books on a number of other topics.
我写过许多其他主题的书
And in each case I felt that I had solved the problem.
每次我都觉得我解决了问题
But this is not resolvable.
但死亡不是一个用来解决的问题
It’s not just a theoretical question for me, which so many things can be.
对我而言 它不像其他的理论问题
It’s the one thing that is central to my existence
这是我生命中最重要的一件事
that I have tried to come to terms with…
我一直试图去接受它……
and have failed.
然而我失败了
So I just go on existing,
于是我会继续活着
that’s the truth of it is existing.
那也是死亡存在的真谛
And waiting.
并且会一直等待
Waiting until I have to say goodbye.
直到我不得不与这个世界告别

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述

赫伯特·芬格莱特是美国著名哲学家。他曾表示死亡并不可怕。97岁时,有感于死亡的临近,他开始重新思考生与死的真相。

听录译者

收集自网络

翻译译者

江琅

审核员

审核员OYE

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX6NztnPU-4

相关推荐