[Music]
[音乐]
Hey, everyone! And welcome to TopThink.
嘿 大家好啊!欢迎来到《顶级思考》
Today we’re gonna learn about 7 memory tricks to learn anything faster.
今天我们学习7个记忆技巧 让你学得更快
Now, let’s begin.
现在 我们开始吧
NO.1 The Production Effect
1:生产效应
Have you ever locked your car
你有没有过本来已经锁好了车
only to forget 5 minutes later whether you locked it or not?
才过了5分钟就忘了到底有没有锁?
Why do we have so much trouble remembering such obvious things?
为什么我们记住这些显而易见的事情就那么难呢?
Well, your memories are separated into 2 different categories:
其实 记忆可以分为两类
Implicit and Explicit.
内隐记忆和外显记忆
Implicit memories are things you remember unconsciously.
内隐记忆就是要无意识地记住某些事情
You don’t recall brushing your teeth
平时早上你都想不起来要刷牙
or eating breakfast most mornings.
或者吃早餐
Because you do these activities without thinking.
就是因为做这些事情都不用思考
Explicit memories, on the other hand,
另一个 外显记忆
are things we consciously remember.
就是我们要有意识地记住某些事情
When you study for a test,
当你为了考试而学习
this information is a lot easier to recall.
这些知识点很容易就能回想起来
Because you’re making a conscious effort to learn.
这是因为你下意识地努力学习了
Habitual activities, like locking your car,
习惯性行为 比如锁车
fall into your implicit memory.
就归属于内隐记忆
We do them so often that it doesn’t make sense
这些事情我们做得如此频繁
to store each one as a conscious thought.
那么把每件事都存储为一种有意识的思考就没有任何意义
Since you’re essentially doing it without thinking,
因为你做事情基本上不思考的话
it’s hard to be 100% sure that it actually happened.
就很难百分之百地肯定它真的发生了
This is where the production effect comes in to play.
这也正是生产效应发挥作用的地方
It converts an implicit memory into an explicit memory
通过将你的注意转移到行为上
by bringing your attention to your behavior.
从而将内隐记忆转化为外显记忆
All you have to do is say what you’re doing out loud.
你所要做的就是大声说出你在做什么
It’s incredibly simple and it takes no extra effort.
这非常简单 不需要额外的努力
But it transforms your habitual recall.
却能改变你习惯性的回忆
A 2010 study tested this exact phenomenon.
2010年的一项研究证实了这一现象
They split participants up into two groups:
他们将参与者分成两组:
one read words silently,
一组默读
while the other said every word out loud.
而另一组则把每个字都大声读出来
Sure enough,
果然
the second group recalled content better than their counterparts,
第二组比另一组能更好地回忆起内容
showing the huge impact that vocal production has on recall.
这就表明了发出声音对回忆的巨大影响
By incorporating this simple but powerful technique,
通过这个简单却有效的技巧
you can start to instantly sharpen your memory.
你可以立即提高你的记忆力
NO.2 The Power of Paper
2:纸的力量
Over the years, pencil and paper have fallen out of favour.
多年来 笔和纸都已经失宠了
In most colleges and even some high schools,
在大多数学校甚至是高校
students are taking notes exclusively on computers.
学生们只在电脑上做笔记
Typing let you copy down more information at a faster rate.
打字能让你以更快的速度记下更多的信息
But what if typing your notes is making it harder for you to learn?
但是 如果打笔记让你学起来更难呢?
A 2014 study compared the test scores of students,
2014年的一项研究比较了两组学生的考试成绩
who typed and wrote out their notes.
一组打笔记 一组写笔记
The researchers guessed that the pencil and paper students would perform better.
研究人员猜测用笔和纸记笔记的学生表现得会更好
Hmm, turns out they were right.
嗯 结果证明他们的猜测是对的
Pencil and paper students outperformed typing students,
用笔和纸书写的学生表现优于打字的学生
because of how writing things out interacts with your brain.
原因在于写出来的东西与大脑的互动方式
This older method forces you to spend less time copying
记笔记这种老方法迫使你用更少的时间进行复制信息
and more time processing.
用更多的时间进行处理信息
Many students can type as fast as their teachers talk.
许多学生打字的速度可以和老师说话的速度一样快
Without realizing it,
没有对知识的理解认识
they do more transcribing than actual learning.
他们抄录的就多 真正学到的少
Because pencil and paper is slower,
因为用笔和纸记笔记速度太慢了
you have to constantly condense and restructure new information.
你必须要不断地压缩和重组新信息
In other words, you get a deeper understanding by writing less.
换句话说 你写的少了 理解的就深了
Pencil and paper also gets rid of the most detrimental key on the keyboard, delete.
铅笔和纸也摆脱了键盘上最不利的Delete健
You need to be able to make mistakes while you learn.
你需要在学习的过程中犯错
When you type, it’s too easy to mindlessly erase errors
当你打字时 错误太容易在无意中删除
without understanding what was wrong.
而你压根就不知道是什么出错了
On paper, you’re forced to make physical corrections.
而在纸上 你不得不做出物理上的修正
That way, you’re learning from your mistakes
这样 你可以从错误中学习
instead of pretending that they never happened.
而不是假装错误从未发生过
NO.3 Context Cues
3:情境线索
Context sharpens your memory
情境可以帮助增强你的记忆
because it’s encoded alongside the information
因为它是和你要记住的信息
that you’re trying to remember.
一起编码的
Well, let’s say you wanna memorize a presentation for work.
那么 我们假设你想记住一份工作报告
While you’re practicing at really difficult section,
当你练习难度较大的部分时
you start eating an apple.
你开始吃了个苹果
Your brain will naturally pair the apple
你的大脑会自然地
and that part of the presentation in your memory.
把苹果和你记忆中的工作汇报部分配对
The apple becomes a sort of cue
苹果就成为了一种线索:
that you can use to retrieve more complicated information.
你可以用它来检索更复杂的信息
These contextual cues can take pretty much any shape,
这种情境线索可以演变成多种形式
but the most common is visual.
但最常见的就是视觉
Another study from 2010
2010年的另一项研究
examine the exact role of visual context in memorization.
研究了视觉语境在记忆中的确切作用
The researchers gave each participant a set of words to remember.
研究人员给每位参与者一组要记的单词
Each word was paired with a certain type of picture.
每个单词都与特定类型的图片配对
Group one saw pictures of normal faces.
第一组看到了正常面孔的照片
Well, group 2 saw pictures of scrambled faces.
而第二组看到的是扭曲面孔的照片
As the researchers predicted,
正如研究人员预测的那样
visual context significantly boosted recall.
视觉语境显著提高了记忆力
The first group who saw pictures of normal faces
看到正常面孔照片的第一组
had a much easier time remembering their listed words.
在记忆所列的单词的过程中要轻松地多
In each of these examples, there’s been a noticeable stimulus.
在每个例子中 都有一个明显的刺激
But context cues will work either way.
但是情境线索都会发挥作用
The uniqueness of cues, like the apple or the picture, didn’t actually matter,
线索的独特性 比如苹果或者图片 都是无关紧要的
so you don’t have to do a bunch of weird stuff while you study
所以你学习只是为了提高记忆力的话
just to improve your memory.
就没有必要做很多奇奇怪怪的事情
Your brain encodes all types of context in the same way.
大脑以同样的方式编码所有类型的语境
So all you have to do is be aware of your environment.
所以你所要做的就是要意识到你所处的环境
NO.4 Spacing Effect
4:间隔效应
Every student has been told, at some point,
同样地 每个学生都被告知
not to cram right before a test.
不要考试前临时抱佛脚
Yet. We’ve all done it anyway.
然而 我们都抱过
You’ve known about the test for weeks,
你几个星期前就知道考试的事了
but try to relearn an entire semester’s worth of information in 24 hours.
但还是试着要在24小时内重学整个学期的知识
How does this strategy usually play out?
这种策略通常是如何实施的呢?
Well, you end up only remembering a fraction of what you’ve studied
唉 你最终只能记住你所学的一小部分
and your brain gets so overwhelmed and exhausted that it can’t perform.
你的大脑不堪重负 筋疲力尽 无法工作
According to the director of the cognition and education lab at Dartmouth College,
达特茅斯学院认知与教育实验室主任表示
our brain can only retain so much information at one time.
我们的大脑一次只能记住这么多信息
We need extended periods of practice to make durable memories.
我们需要长久的练习来形成持久的记忆
Scientists call this the Spacing Effect.
科学家称之为间隔效应
Because the space in between practice sessions
因为练习之间的间隔
is what gives our brain the chance to encode and recover.
让我们的大脑可以有机会重新编码和修复
To test this, researchers looked at 2 different learning techniques,
为了验证这一点 研究人员研究了两种不同的学习技巧
massed practice and distributed practice.
集中练习和分散练习
They think of massed practice like cramming.
他们认为集中练习就像填鸭式学习
After being exposed to a stimulus,
在受到刺激后
you try to retain all of that information by studying it immediately afterwards.
试图通过冲刺学习来立即记住所有的信息
And just like cramming, it typically doesn’t work.
就像填鸭式学习一样 这通常是行不通的
Distributed practice is
分散练习就是
when you spread the learning process out over several shorter sessions,
当你把学习过程分散到几个较短的阶段
by studying the same thing each time,
每个阶段都学习同样的东西
you actually absorb the information,
你真正地吸收了信息
so you can recall it whenever necessary.
那么你就可以随时回忆起来
But why does spacing make such a big difference?
但是为什么间隔会产生如此大的影响呢?
Well, the best explanation is called Study-phase Retrieval Theory.
嗯嗯 最好的解释是学习阶段检索理论
Each time you enter a piece of information that you’ve learned before,
每次你输入一条你以前学过的信息
your brain tries to retrieve any encoded memories.
你的大脑就会努力检索任何已编码的记忆
When it successfully finds a memory,
当它成功地找到这份记忆
the information becomes harder for you to forget.
相关信息要忘记就更难
Distributed practice forces you to do this repeatedly,
分散练习迫使你重复进行这样的过程
while creating necessary space in between.
同时在两者之间创造必要的间隔
That way, you have time to remember something
如此 你就有时间记住某些信息
forget it and then remember it again.
再忘记 然后再次记起来
Each time the information becomes more pronounced,
每一次信息变得更加清晰明显
it becomes easier and faster to recall,
回忆起来越来越容易 越来越快
because it’s sitting closer to the surface of your memory.
原因就在于它更接近你记忆的表面
No.5 Mental Stretches
5:脑力伸展
Why do athletes always stretch or jog before practice?
为什么运动员在训练前总是伸展或慢跑?
Well, a good warm-up gives your muscles the flexibility and strength
因为热身好了可以让肌肉的灵活性和力量
to perform at their best.
达到最佳状态
Now for most people, it’s a second nature.
对大多数人来说 这是第二天性
Obviously, you can’t just start springing right off the bat.
显然 你不能一开始就跳起来
So why do you expect your brain to do the same thing?
那你为什么期望大脑能做到呢?
Like any muscle, your brain needs the right warm-up to maximize its potential.
就像任何肌肉一样 你的大脑需要适当的热身来最大限度地发挥它的潜力
It can’t go from 0 to 100 instantly.
它不能一下子从0到100
You can’t transition from watching Netflix
你不能从网飞影片的观看状态
to learning some complex concept.
直接过渡到复杂概念的学习中
If you do, you’re gonna feel hazy and slow.
如果这样做了 你就会感到困惑 而且学得也慢
You are gonna have a hard time absorbing information,
你就会很难吸收信息
because your brain just isn’t ready.
因为你的大脑还没有准备好
You can use mental stretches to prepare your brain
你可以利用脑力伸展来为大脑做下准备活动
to work, think and encode memories efficiently.
让它有效地工作 思考和编码记忆
Mental stretches are low intensity games
脑力伸展是一种低强度的运动
that gradually get your brain up and running.
可以慢慢地让你的大脑活跃起来
Concentration is a great example.
记忆纸牌就是一个很好的例子
Not only is it quick and relatively fun,
它不仅快速有趣
but it also focuses on boosting your ability to retain information.
还注重提高你记住信息的能力
Just make sure you aren’t going too hard, too fast.
只是要确保你不会进展地太辛苦 太快
Mental stretches shouldn’t make you feel cloudy or cluttered.
脑力伸展不会让你感到云里雾里的
If your warm-up is too intense,
如果你热身太过激烈
your brain will start feeling fatigued way faster than normal.
你的大脑会比平时更容易感到疲劳
Always keep things fun and simple
保持事情的趣味性和简易性
to see improvements in your cognitive performance.
可以提高你的认知能力
No.6 Interleaving
6:交叉学习
You can actually stimulate your memory
你可以通过有规律地转化不同的话题
by regularly alternating between different topics.
来刺激记忆
Interleaving is the process of mixing multiple subjects to enhance your ability to learn.
交叉学习是将多个科目混合在一起以提高学习能力的过程
You might, for example, start with math, transition to English,
比如 你可以从数学开始 然后是英语
and then finish with history. All in the same study session.
最后是历史 所有的都在同一个学习阶段
On the surface, interleaving sounds pretty inefficient.
从表面上看 交叉学习听起来效率很低
It’s exactly the opposite of blocking,
这和阻断学习正好相反
which is probably the most common learning technique out there.
阻断学习应该是最常见的学习技巧
Blocking is when you dedicate an extended period of time to only one subject.
它是指你很长一段时间只专注于一个主题
You might spend Monday on math,
可能你周一学数学
Tuesday on English and Wednesday on history.
周二英语 周三历史
Blocking makes more sense to most people,
阻断学习对大多数人来说更有意义
but interleaving is actually more effective.
但实际上交叉学习更有效
Rotating between topics forces your mind to stay active and adaptable.
在不同的话题之间转换会迫使大脑保持活跃性和适应性
When you only learn one thing at once, your brain slacks off.
当你一次只学一件事时 你的大脑就会放松下来
It pays less attention,
因为事情变得越来越简单重复
because things are getting easier and more repetitive.
注意力缺失
By jumping from subject to subject,
而从一个主题跳到另一个主题
you force your brain to completely shift gears each time.
每次你都要强迫你的大脑全部换挡
The smaller hyper efficient chunks are easier to learn from,
因为不同主题会有更多的独特的挑战
because they offer more of a unique challenge.
更小的高效主题块也就更容易学习
But that isn’t even the best part of interleaving.
但这还不是交叉学习的最优秀的地方
This learning technique compels you to draw broader connections
这种学习技巧最优秀的地方在于以一种阻断学习永远不会的方式
in a way that blocking never will.
迫使你建立更广泛的联系
You’re giving your brain the opportunity to see the bigger picture,
可以让你的大脑有机会着眼大局
to not only understand what something is,
不仅理解事物的本质是什么
but also where it fits into the field as a whole.
而且它作为一个整体也适用于整个领域
No.7 Self-testing
7:自测
Self-testing is another effective way to boost your memory.
自测是提高记忆力的另一种有效方法
Once you think you have something memorized,
一旦你觉得记住了某些东西
you shouldn’t wait until your exam or presentation to test
你不应该等到考试或报告的时候才去测试
whether or not you studied enough.
不管你学习的是否足够
Put yourself to the test before hand to get an idea of
先自测一下
how well you actually know the content.
了解下你对内容的掌握程度
Nine times out of ten,
十之八九
you’ll discover you’re not as prepared as you thought.
你会发现自己并没有想象中掌握得那么好
Luckily, self-testing shows you exactly where you’re weakest.
幸运的是 自测恰恰展示了你薄弱的地方
It tells you what you need to relearn,
它会告诉你需要重学些什么
but only if you do it right.
但前提是你要做对
Your tests won’t do anything for you if you let yourself cheat.
如果你自欺欺人的话 自测对你没有任何的帮助
For example, when you’re using flash cards,
就像 当你使用单词卡时
don’t flip over the card before you answer.
回答之前不要把卡片翻过来
It’s tempting to make excuses like, “Oh yeah, that’s what I meant.”
很容易找借口说 “噢 是的 我就是这个意思”
But you’re only hurting yourself.
但你这样只是在自我伤害
Look, if you can’t get the right answer in this low stress situation,
听着 如果你不能在这种低压力的情况下得到正确答案
there’s no way you will when the pressure’s on.
压力大的时候 你也不可能做到的
To make sure this doesn’t happen,
为了确保这种情况不会发生
try to write down or say your answers out loud.
试着把你的答案写下来或者大声说出来
It’s easier to let an incorrect answer slip by,
当你记着现在是在测试
when the test is in your head.
错误答案很容易掠过啦
Hey, thanks for watching TopThink.
谢谢观看《顶级思考》
And be sure to subscribe, because more incredible content is on the way.
一定要订阅噢 因为还有更多令人难以置信的内容等着你
