ADM-201 dump PMP dumps pdf SSCP exam materials CBAP exam sample questions

拯救新闻业的三种方式 – 译学馆
未登陆,请登陆后再发表信息
最新评论 (0)
播放视频

拯救新闻业的三种方式

3 ways to fix a broken news industry | Lara Setrakian

五年前
Five years ago,
我获得了梦寐以求的工作
I had my dream job.
任职美国广播公司新闻驻中东特派员
I was a foreign correspondent in the Middle East reporting for ABC News.
但我发现了新闻业有一个缺口
But there was a crack in the wall.
即 我们的行业出现了一个问题
A problem with our industry that
亟待我们修补
I felt we needed to fix.
2007年末左右 我去了中东
You see, I got to the Middle East right around the end of 2007,
那时伊拉克战争已经打到了一半
which was just around the midpoint of the the Iraq war.
我到那以后
But by the time I got there,
想找到可供广播的伊拉克新闻故事 已经不太可能
it was already nearly impossible to find stories about Iraq on air.
各大网络报导伊拉克新闻的数量一律下降
The coverage had dropped across the board across networks
那些得以广播出来的新闻故事当中
and the stories that did make it
超过80%都是关于我方的
more than 80% of them were about us.
我们错失了很多故事 这些故事关于伊拉克
We were missing the stories about Iraq
当地的居民
the people who live there
以及他们在战争重压下 正在经历什么
and what was happening to them under the weight of the war.
阿富汗则早已不在报导议程中
Afghanistan had already fallen off the agenda.
2008年所有新闻中 只有不到1%是关于阿富汗战争
There were less than 1% of all news stories in 2008 that went to the war in Afghanistan.
阿富汗战争在美国史上历时最久
It was the longest war in US history.
但相关信息却如此之少
But information was so scarce
跟我们交流的老师表示
that school teachers we spoke to
他们不知道如何跟他们的学生解释
told us that they had trouble explaining to their students
我们在阿富汗究竟做了什么
what we were doing there.
那时那些孩子的父母
when those students had parents
都在作战 甚至有些就在异国他乡殉职了
who were fighting and sometimes dying overseas.
我们的新闻报道有缺失
We had drawn a blank
而这不只包括伊拉克和阿富汗
and it wasn’t just Iraq and Afghanistan.
从地区冲突 到气候变化
From conflict zones to climate change
再到关乎公共卫生危机的各类议题
to all sorts of issues around crises in public health.
我们无法报导我称为 “物种层面”的问题
We were missing what I call the species level issues
因为这些问题可以拖垮 我们整个人类物种
because as a species they could actually sink us.
我们不能了解我们时代的复杂问题
And by failing to understand the complex issues of our time,
我们正面临这些问题带来的某些实际性的影响
we were facing certain practical implications.
要是我们都不能从根本上理解问题
How are we going to solve problems that we didn’t fundamentally understand
也没办法实时追踪
that we couldn’t track in real time and
我们也看不见所打交道的人
we’re the people working on the issues were invisible to us
有时甚至互相都看不见 那我们还怎么解决问题
and sometimes invisible to each other.
回顾伊拉克那些年
When you look back on Iraq those years,
我们没法报道那些故事
we were missing story,
当地社会分崩离析的时候
where the years when the society was falling apart
我们也为伊斯兰国的崛起创造了条件
when we were setting the conditions for what would become the rise of Isis.
伊斯兰国掌管了摩苏尔 恐怖主义从
The Isis take over of Mosul and terrorist violence that would spread
伊拉克蔓延到了世界其他地方
beyond Iraq’s borders to the rest of the world.
我正在观察的时候
Just around that time where I was making that observation.
我望向伊拉克边界的另一边 注意到
I looked across the border of Iraq and noticed
我们也正在错过另一个故事:
there was another story we were missing:
叙利亚战争
The war in Syria.
如果你是中东问题的专家
If you are Middle East specialist,
你就会知道 叙利亚从一开始就很重要
you knew that Syria was that important from the start.
但因“阿拉伯之春”叙利亚成为被遗忘的故事之一
But it ended up being really one of the Forgotten stories of the Arab Spring.
我亲眼见证了 这带来的影响
I saw the implications up front.
叙利亚与地区安全以至全球安全 息息相关
Syria is intimately tied to regional security to global stability.
我认为我们不能让叙利亚成为另一则被遗忘的故事
I felt like we couldn’t let that become another one of the stories we left behind.
所以我辞掉了大电视台的工作 创建了一个叫“深度探索叙利亚”的网站
So I left my big TV job to to start a website called Syria Deeply.
这网站旨在作为新闻及资讯来源
It was designed to be a news and information source that
让公众更容易理解复杂的形势
made it easier to understand a complex issue.
过去的四年 它已经成为
And for the past four years it’s been a resource
政策制定者和专家研究叙利亚冲突的资料来源
for policy makers and professionals working on the conflict in Syria.
我们建立的商业模式 基于具连贯性 高质量的信息资讯
We built a business model based on consistent high quality information
并且汇集了关于该事件的一流见解
and convening the top minds on the issue.
我们发现这个运行模式可以拓展
And we found that it was a model that scaled.
人们热切请求我们深度探讨下其他事件
We got passionate requests to do other things deeply.
所以开始落实我们清单上的事项
So we started to work our way down the list.
我和许多企业家
I’m just one of many entrepreneurs
和很多初创公司
and we are just one of many startups
尝试去修补新闻业出现的问题
trying to fix what’s wrong with news.
我们所有在前线工作的人都知道 新闻业的确出现了一些问题
All of us in the trenches know that something is wrong with the news industry.
它已经被破坏了
It’s broken.
传媒公信力跌至历史最低
Trust in the media has hit an all-time low
现在我们看见的这些都是9月统计的数据
and the statistic you’re seeing up there is from September.
现在可能更糟
It’s arguably gotten worse.
但是我们可以弥补
But we can fix this.
我们可以恢复新闻业
We can fix the news.
我知道这会实现的
I know that that’s true.
你可以把我称为理想主义者
You can call me an idealist.
但我称自己是勤奋的乐观主义者
I call myself an industrious optimist
我知道很多在座的各位
and I know there are a lot of us out there.
都知道如何让事情好转
We have ideas for how to make things better.
在此 我想和你们分享三点 我们在工作中找到的办法
And I want to share three of them that we’ve picked up in our own work.
方法一:
Idea number one:
我们需要基于深层次领域知识的新闻
We need news that’s built on deep domain knowledge.
鉴于全国各地新闻媒体 裁员一浪接一浪
Given the waves and waves of layoffs newsrooms across the country,
我们已经失去了专门报导的艺术
we’ve lost the art of specialization.
深入报道濒临消失
Deep reporting is an endangered thing.
当我们谈及国外新闻的时候
When it comes to foreign news,
我们的补救方法就是跟更多本地新闻从业员合作
the way we can fix that is by working with more local journalists
视他们为伙伴和合作者
treating them like our partners and collaborators
而不仅是帮我们获取电话号码和原声摘要的中介人
not just fixers who fetch us phone numbers and sound bytes.
我们在叙利亚 非洲和亚洲的本地记者
Our local reporters in Syria and across Africa and across Asia
为我们带来了我们自己肯定找不来的新闻故事 
bring us stories that we certainly would not have found on our own
就像这则在大马士革市郊发生的新闻
like this one from the suburbs of Damascus
内容是一场轮椅竞速赛
about a wheelchair race
它给战争中受伤的人们带来了希望
that gave hope to those wounded in the war
又或是这则在塞拉里昂的新闻 一名当地首领
or this one from Sierra Leone about a local chief who
自发组织隔离自己的区域 以遏制埃博拉病毒蔓延
who curbed the spread of Ebola by self-organizing a quarantine in his district or
亦或是这则发生在巴基斯坦边界的新闻
or this one from the border of Pakistan about
阿富汗难民在未准备好的情况下
Afghan refugees being forced to return home,
被警察胁迫迫返乡
before they’re ready under the threat of police intimidation.
当地记者就是我们的导师
Our local journalists are our mentors.
他们每天都教给我们一些新的东西
They teach us something new every day,
给我们带来所有人都应该知道的重要新闻故事
and they bring us stories that are important for all of us to know.
方法二:
Idea number two:
我们需要给新闻行业订立一种希波克拉底誓词
We need a kind of Hippocratic oath for the news industry,
承诺首先不会造成任何伤害
a pledge to first do no harm.
新闻员需要不屈不挠
Journalists need to be tough.
我们需要跟当权者说明真相
We need to speak truth to power.
但是我们也需要为此负责
But we also need to be responsible.
我们既需要按照我们的理想行事
We need to live up to our own ideals and
又需要意识到
and we need to recognize
如果我们的新闻不是为公众服务
when what we’re doing could potentially harm society,
我们也会对社会造成潜在伤害
where we lose track of journalism as a public service.
我密切关注埃博拉危机的报导
I watched this cover the Ebola crisis.
我们发起了“深度报导埃博拉”
We launched Ebola Deeply.
我们尽全力去这样做
We did our best.
但我们也看见公众
But what we saw was a public
被歇斯底里和耸人听闻的新闻所蒙蔽
that was flooded with hysterical and sensational coverage,
这些新闻有时不准确 有时完全错了
sometimes inaccurate, sometimes completely wrong.
公共健康专家告诉我 事实上这会让我们丧命
Public health experts tell me that actually cost us in human lives,
因为引发的过度恐慌或
because by sparking more panic and
有时把事实弄错
by sometimes getting the facts wrong.
让人们更难解决
we made it harder for people to resolve
实际发生的问题
what was actually happening on the ground.
所有这些谣传让人们更难做出正确的决定
All that noise made it harder to make the right decisions.
作为一个行业 我们可以做得更好
We can do better as an industry.
但这要求我们认识到
But it requires us recognizing
上次我们是怎样犯错的
how we got it wrong last time
并下决心下次不会再犯
and deciding not to go that way next time.
这完全由你决定
It’s a choice.
我们需要抵制诱惑 不利用公众恐惧心理 获取关注率
We have to resist the temptation to use fear for ratings
每位新闻行政人员和个体
and that decision has to be made in the individual newsroom
都需要做出这样的决定
and with the individual news executive,
因为下一次致命的病毒可能更糟糕
because the next deadly virus that comes around could be much worse.
带来更严重的后果
And the consequence is much higher.
如果我们重蹈覆辙
If we do what we did last time
如果我们的报导不负责任
if our reporting isn’t responsible,
如果我们的报导不尽其实
and it isn’t right.
方法三:
The third idea:
假如我们想理解这个复杂的世界
We need to embrace complexity
我们就需要拥抱复杂
if we want to make sense of a complex world.
拥抱复杂
Embrace complexity.
不把世界简单化
Not treat the world simplistically,
因为简单意味着不准确
because simple isn’t accurate.
我们就生活在一个纷杂的世界
We live in a complex world.
新闻是成人教育
News is adult education.
我们的工作就是
It’s our job as journalists to get
扎根于复杂性
elbow-deep in complexity and
找到让每一个人更容易理解的新方式
define new ways to make it easier for everyone else to understand.
如果我们不那样做 假装简单答案就在那
If we don’t do that, if we pretend there are just simple answers.
我们就相当于领着每个人去跳崖
we’re leading everyone off a steep cliff.
理解复杂关系是知道真实威胁近在咫尺的 唯一方法
Understanding complexity is the only way to know the real threats that are around the corner.
我们的责任就在于传达这些威胁
It’s our responsibility to translate those threats and
帮助你们理解什么是真实
to help you understand what’s real.
所以你可以做好准备
So you can be prepared
面临下一个即将到来的问题 做好准备
and know what it takes to be ready for what comes next.
我是一个勤奋的乐观主义者
I am an industrious optimist.
我相信我们可以修复一切破损
I do believe we can fix what’s broken.
我们都想拥有优秀的新闻工作者 做着很棒的工作
We all want to there are great journalists out there doing great works.
我们只是需要新的模式
We just need new formats.
老实说 我相信 觉醒的时代到来了
I honestly believe this is a time of reawakening
重新想象一下我们能够做的事
reimagining what we can do.
我相信我们可以补救破败的新闻业
I believe we can fix what’s broken.
我知道我们可以补救新闻业
I know we can fix the news.
我知道 这值得尝试
I know it’s worth trying.
我真的相信最后
And I truly believe that in the end,
我们会让一切回到正轨
we’re going to get this right.
谢谢
Thank you.

发表评论

译制信息
视频概述

我们应该修补新闻业出现的裂痕,让一切回到正轨。

听录译者

收集自网络

翻译译者

喋喋

审核员

YX

视频来源

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1R4F9s_oow

相关推荐