From aircraft-eating madmen to posing as a reggae boy band, we count 10 Bizarre Ways
People Became Famous
嘿 伙计们 我是危险的舞蹈神秘的男孩。 我来这里是为了用内部研究和其他黑魔法来打击你们的思想
Hey,there guys.I am Danger dance mysterious brother.I am here to blow your mind with academic research inside and other dark magic.
10 – Monsieur Mangetout • If you translate the name Monsieur Mangetout,
it means ‘Mister consume-everything’ which is why it is such a fitting name for this
bizarre guy. • His real name was Michel Lotito and he
他因食用大量像玻璃 橡皮 甚至金属这样不可食用的物品而出名
was famous for eating giant not-eatable things like glass, rubber and even metal.
在他作为专业进食者的生涯中 嫩豌豆吃过整个自行车 电脑
During his career as a professional thing-eater, Mangetout ate entire bicycles, computers and
even a goddamn Cessna 150 airplane. He ate the entire plane over a two-year period and
could stomach up to two pounds of hard material every single day.
• Surprisingly, the only food that made this guy sick was bananas and hard boiled eggs.
9 – Ryan Beitz
• What originally started out as a casual joke at Christmas, turned into Ryan Beitz
going on a mission to buy thousands of VHS tapes.
• Apparently Beitz decided one holiday to gift each of his family members with an identical
copy of 1994 film ‘Speed’ featuring Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves. He then found thirty
more VHS copies at a thrift store and bought the lot for $3.10.
• Beitz’s kickstarter campaign to have his car painted exactly like the vehicle from
the movie was successful and now he travels around the country in it on an endless search
for more Speed VHS tapes. 8 – Eric Nakagawa
夏威夷岛上宁静的一天 一个年轻的男人拍了一张猫的照片 并给它配上了文字
• One quiet day in Hawaii, a young man took a picture of a cat and added words to it and
changed his life forever. • Eric Nakagawa is the original creator
of one of the most famous memes on the internet, the cheezburger cat. After the image became
风靡网络之后 中川创办了LolCats网站 最近出售了
hugely famous on the internet, Nakagawa started a website called LolCats, and recently sold
the domain for a crazy two million dollars. • He even went on to publish a book that
became a New York Times Best Seller. 7 – Zeddie Little
• A chance photo at a marathon in 2012 made this guy an overnight internet sensation.
• Zeddie Little was participating in the Cooper River Bridge Run in South Carolina
跑步的过程中 他朝着一个陌生的摄像师微笑。 照片中的其他参赛者看起来筋疲力尽
when he smiled at a random photographer. The other runners in the photo look exhausted,
疲惫并且大汗淋漓 但是利托看起来像是在超模摆拍 网上的
tired and sweaty, but Little looks like he’s in a supermodel photo-shoot.
网友们称他为“荒谬的上镜男孩” 全世界的女人极为震惊 在
The internet dubbed him ‘Ridiculously Photogenic Guy’.
Women of the world were devastated when his identity was revealed and it was reported that he was in a long, committed relationship.Damn.
6 – Gary Dahl
• One of the most bizarrely successful marketing campaigns ever belonged to a man called Gary
Dahl. • One night in 1975, Dahl was in a bar talking
传统意义上的宠物喂养是多么麻烦 并且还要时不时遛它 接着他产生了
about how traditional pets are such a hassle to feed and walk all the time, and came up
with a crazy idea: pet rocks. He went and bought hundreds of rocks for about a penny
一个 然后把它们放进一个小纸屋中并以每个3美元95美分的价格出售 令人吃惊的是 达尔卖出的如此
a piece and sold them in little carboard houses for $3.95 each. Astoundingly, Dahl sold so
many that he practically became a millionaire overnight.
• Dahl became an advertising legend and you can read all about in the book he wrote
called ‘Advertising for Dummies’. 5 – Tan Mom
• Not all of the reasons people get famous are positive, and this woman found fame in
a really, really questionable way. • A woman with a horrendously dangerous
obsession with tanning beds was accused of burning her five-year-old daughter in a tanning
accident, though the mother claimed her daughter’s tan burns were regular old sunburn. Tanning
床是导致皮肤癌的巨大因素之一 该服务在许多国家是违法的 因为某种原因
beds are a huge cause of skin cancer and are illegal in many countries. For some reason,
the world wanted more of this crazy woman and she became known as the famous Tan Mom.
• Recently Tan Mom has apparently swapped her tan-bed obsession for a more “healthy”
Botox obsession. 4 – Stephen Perkins
• If you’ve ever made a questionable life choice while you’ve been drunk, at least
you didn’t accidentally cost a company $10 million dollars like this guy.
• Steve Perkins was completely wasted when he turned up for his shift at Oil Futures.
Instead of his normal work, Perkins decided to drunkenly buy 7 million barrels of oil with the company’s money.
This unauthorised transaction was so serious that it increased
世界上每一个国家的石油价格 不必多说 他醉酒后的恶作剧
the cost of oil in every country in the world. • Needless to say, his inebriated shenanigans
got him fired from the company and fined 72,000 pounds.
3 – Adam Pacitti • A desperate last-ditch attempt to get
a job was the reason this guy became a total internet sensation.
• Adam Pacitti was unemployed and facing the drastic reality of not being able to find
a job when he had a risky but genius idea. He spent every last dollar he had on a billboard
pleading for someone to give him a job. His website ‘Employ Adam’ received over 1.5
million hits and up to 100 job offers were emailed to the brash young man.
• Adam now has a great job at an award-winning company and even posted a second billboard
saying thank you for all the job offers. 2 – Rosario Dawson
• You might know Rosario Dawson from Hollywood blockbusters, but you’d be pretty surprised
知道她是如何被星探发现的 当时道森年仅15岁 她
to learn how she was discovered. • When Dawson was just 15 years old she
was sitting on her porch, hanging out doing typical teenager things when a screenwriter
walked down the sidewalk and decided she was the perfect part for her upcoming project.
尽管道森之前并没有什么表演经验 但在面试后 最后获得了出演电影《孩子》的机会
Dawson had no prior acting experience but went for the audition and ended landed her
这是他第一次机会 自从那次改变命运的的试镜后 道森
first role in the movie The Kids. • Since that fateful audition, Dawson has
featured in movies such as Men in Black, Sin City and Unstoppable.
1 – Marina and the Diamonds • If you get a chance to impress a record
制作人 你肯定会为此不顾一切 即使那意味着要假装成雷鬼男孩乐队的一员
producer, you do it: even if it means pretending to be in a reggae boy band.
马莲娜·戴蒙蒂 更多人只知道马莲娜 戴蒙蒂努力奋斗为了出名
• Marina Diamondis, more famously as Marina and the Diamonds was struggling to get her
name out in London when she found out about an opportunity to impress some Virgin Music
record executives. The catch was that she had to pretend to be a reggae voice singer
in a boy band. Apparently they weren’t too interested in the band but they called Marina
back the following week. • It just goes to show that if you’re
desperate enough, you can by selling up your
get the world’s attention any way you try.